In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(on necklace, bracelet)cuenta feminineabalorio masculinea string of beads — una sarta de cuentas
- He deftly picks up different objects such as glass stones, beads and white metal piping and threads it aesthetically on a black cotton thread to make a necklace.
- The beads, pendants, and engravings were surprisingly well-preserved.
- Costumes will consist of robes, jackets, skirts, trousers and tops, all made with animal skins, cotton, silks and beads.
- The excavators found Roman glass beads from a necklace and one gaming counter.
- Anyone can attach beads to a piece of shiny cloth!
- He lives amidst a dizzying array of objects: church fixtures, toys, beads, bottle caps, dolls' heads, icons, candles and dominoes.
- Wealthy women might have a string of brightly coloured beads linking the two brooches across the chest.
- Local craft production included the manufacture of glass and stone beads, and extensive tin, bronze, and gold working.
- We fingered our beads and said the second part of the Hail Mary or Our Father.
- A pen case worn by the figure helps to identify the image as an author: a set of prayer beads in his left hand demonstrates his piety.
- She had green and gold beads for all us gals to put around our necks.
- Both of these drummers are wearing long strands of beads, which may be initiation necklaces.
- We've noticed that Topshop is showing lots of bright red and turquoise bead bracelets and necklaces.
- A devout Catholic and mother of seven, she was holding her beloved rosary beads when the end came.
- Both gloves are dotted with clusters of tiny pearl beads.
- Her installation was made of crystal beads strung on transparent threads.
- In order to get authentic bead jewelry, be sure to buy it where it is crafted by hand.
- I found an inflatable pink backpack, a bead necklace and a giant bone on my walk, not all in the same place.
- Around her neck she wore a necklace of amber beads that she had inherited from her Great Aunt Caroline, who had also been her godmother.
- He remembered that his mother had given him some prayer beads.
1.2(of rosary)cuenta feminineto say / tell one's beads — rezar el rosario
1.3(drop)gota femininebeads of sweat/condensation — gotas de sudor/condensación
- Again this morning, beads of moisture on the windshield.
- Making his way to one of the deep blue glass pillars that adorned the laboratory, he gently swept some beads of condensation off the surface.
- She wiped the beads of sweat from her forehead, and continued to daydream of Alaska.
- The fog made tiny beads of moisture on the fine hairs of Theresa's mink as they walked from the parked car to Davies Symphony Hall.
- My home on Sunday became a place of carefree fun, little wet boys running to and fro, glistening beads of moisture running down their soft nubile chests.
- IT'S a freezing December day on the snow-covered mountains of Austria, but Darwen snowboarder Cindy Meller already has beads of perspiration on her forehead.
- When I drew the study curtains it was to see that it'd been raining during the night and that while there was a lovely bit of warming sunshine, it glittered off of the beads of moisture on the lawn.
- He stood there holding it, examining its shimmering steel, the beads of moisture rolling off of it.
- Just standing in the dugout with the suit on, sweat rolled down my face, forming a seemingly huge bead at the end of my nose.
- Plasma bolts smacked into the table, dropping hissing beads of steel onto the floor.
- Their limbs ached from walking so far and beads of sweat dropped onto the ground from the scorching sun.
- But once the pallbearers had executed their duties perfectly in the full gaze of the nation, their strained faces were clearly shown to be glistening with beads of perspiration.
- Sometimes, I see beads of glistening sweat dropping off her forehead.
- I was appreciating each bead of water that hit my body.
- A big head that is comprised of large bubbles, coupled with beads of bubbles rising through the beer, is evidence of high levels of carbonation.
- By the time I'd turned on the engine in the drive and found my coat and gloves, the only frost traces that remained were beads of water easily flicked away by a swish of each set of wipers.
- She stopped to wipe another bead of sweat from her forehead when a large shadow appeared and offered a little welcome relief from the sun.
- Despite the cold, a single clear bead of sweat slid down her chest.
- A group of ducks were bobbing off to the right, dipping their heads beneath the surface and returning seconds later, with beads of water rolling off their waxy feathers.
- Little beads of crystalline liquid began to form at the ends of his eyes.
- The cool humidity of the low hanging clouds forms beads of moisture on the surface of each stone.
- Seconds later, Mel was back with a towel to wipe salty beads of liquid away from Sam's face.
2(on gun)punto de mira masculinemira globular feminineto draw a bead on sb/sth — apuntarle a algn/algo
- Rather, they decided on a single fixed-leaf rear sight with a gold bead front sight.
- He was in the bathroom, he said, when he noticed the red bead of an automatic weapon's sighting trained on him.
- Bit-by-bit the bead of a gun sight assembled in her mind's eye and nestled between his thick eyebrows.
- I am pretty certain that your gun's bead is threaded, but I don't know the size offhand.
- It was off to Hamilton Bowen to be bead blasted and re-blued.
3(on tire)talón masculine
- This is the distance between the vertical edges of the rim where the tire bead seats.
- This refers to diameter of the metal ring, on which the bead of the tire rests.
- And if you put Slime or another sealant in them, which I recommend, this lubricates the installation of the final few inches of bead as well.
- This makes it imperative that you only push one bead into the valley at a time, since there is not room for both in there, as there often is with a Mavic UST rim.
- Styled Wheels do not have the normal recess inside of the bead for standard hubcaps to mount into.
- Nail or screw a 2X2 piece of wood flush with the bottom of the ledger, and lay a bead of sealant at the joint to prevent water infiltration.
- Wetting the beads of the tire and/or the mounting surfaces in the rim is important because it makes a better seal against the rim and slides easily onto the bead seat.
1his face was beaded with sweat — tenía la cara cubierta de gotas de sudor
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.