In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The date chosen for her beatification, Mission Sunday, is the Sunday closest to the twenty-fifth anniversary of the pontificate of John Paul II and to the end of the Year of the Rosary.
- His beatification, the first step to sainthood, is expected to take five years, far shorter than normal.
- Thus far, the most vocal opposition to Pius IX's beatification and potential canonization comes from the Jewish community, especially in Italy.
- In the 1990s, a number of bishoprics in Germany, Luxembourg and France began to support his beatification by the Roman Catholic Church.
- Both the Blet and Cornwall volumes are also part of the current struggle over the possible beatification and canonization of Pius XII.
- Once declared a holy person, the next step is beatification and finally canonisation.
- As an outsider, I am of course not entitled to a view about who deserves beatification or canonization.
- Last month the Vatican announced the long-awaited beatification of John XXIII.
- The beatification and canonization of Juan Diego bring into question the integrity of the process followed by the Congregation for the Causes of the Saints.
- The life of Fr Mullen was featured recently on the RTE programme ‘Nationwide’, which, combined with the book, is hopefully seen as a step towards beatification.
- In some press accounts this act was linked with the expected beatification, not of Pius XII, but of Pius IX.
- The Vatican has recognized a miracle that she's believed to have performed, a key step in her beatification.
- Their beatification at a ceremony in St Peter's Square marks the final step before actual canonisation through the Roman Catholic Church.
- We wrote a pretty irreverent piece on the Pope's beatification of two dead shepherd children.
- Solanus Casey is a textbook example of the traditional candidate for beatification and canonization.
- The facts emerged only during the investigation of her life preceding her beatification, which takes place in Rome this month.
- Her beatification, the penultimate step on the way to sainthood, has taken place at surprising speed even in the context of the ‘saint factory’ that is the contemporary Vatican.
- The problem is that you confused beatification and canonization.
- After Escrivá's death in 1975, a third of the world's bishops petitioned the Vatican to open his cause for beatification and canonisation.
- The Vatican said at the weekend that a decision in favour of the pope's eventual fast-track beatification would be the ‘exclusive competence’ of his successor.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.