In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(poem/colors/scenery) precioso(poem/colors/scenery) hermoso(poem/colors/scenery) bello literary(dress) precioso(dress) lindísimo Latin America(child/woman) precioso(child/woman) guapísimo(woman/child) lindísimo Latin America(child/woman) hermoso(child/woman) bello literary(voice/hands/hair) precioso(voice/hair/hands) lindísimo Latin America(hands/hair/voice) hermoso(voice/hair/hands) bello literary(friendship) hermoso
- As I waited, I felt very lucky to be able to sit in the dark listening to beautiful music.
- The cottage is small but lovely with a really beautiful garden and pretty facade.
- In the process he made some of the most beautiful poems ever written in the English language.
- He is a tall Scotsman with dark curly hair, beautiful dark eyes and is almost too handsome.
- Hollywood loves a beautiful actress who is willing to sacrifice her glamour for her art.
- How can we make things beautiful, attractive and desirable for us when they are not?
- They are all prepared by hand and are a work of art, almost too beautiful to eat.
- Everyone turned and looked at a handsome young man in a beautiful hat, called Mike.
- I did get to walk on the beach at night and it was as beautiful as I was expecting it to be.
- Her face wouldn't be called beautiful, but she was cute enough for men to want to date her.
- He was now short and fat with a red face, but in some deeper sense he was very beautiful.
- In the end, three men are selected by three young women as being the most beautiful.
- Kim's house and garden are quite beautiful and it put in mind of an idyllic French farm house.
- The next day, our last in the mountains, we wake to a truly beautiful sunrise over Syria.
- Fabian felt furious at Tamora for being so cruel on someone so young and beautiful.
- Stunning scenery makes Scotland one of the most beautiful places in the world to sail.
- When you have nothing to do, you have time to think great thoughts and create beautiful art.
- Right from day one she always loved school and she has grown into a beautiful young lady.
- The huge metal structure that rises from the ground is at once beautiful and disturbing.
- Paris is a stunningly beautiful city, one of the great capitals of the western world.
2informal(very good)(meal/weather) estupendo(weather/meal) buenísimo(serve/shot) magníficowe lay in the sun all day: it was beautiful — nos pasamos el día tumbados al sol, se estaba de maravilla
3US(kind)encantadorthat was a beautiful thing to do — ¡qué detalle!
- you remembered my birthday! you're beautiful! — ¡eres un encanto, te has acordado de mi cumpleaños!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.