In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(for sleeping)cama feminineto make the bed — hacer la cama
- to get into bed — acostarse
- to get out of bed — levantarse (de la cama)
- I was surprised to find her out of bed — me sorprendió encontrarla levantada
- to go to bed — acostarse
- I was in bed by ten o'clock — a las diez ya estaba acostado / en la cama
- he's in bed with measles — está en cama con sarampión
- he was in bed till midday — se quedó en la cama / no se levantó hasta el mediodía
- time for bed! — ¡ya es hora de acostarse / irse a la cama!
- you look ready for bed — tienes cara de sueño
- to take to one's bed — meterse en cama
- we put the children to bed early — acostamos a los niños temprano
- to go to bed with sb — acostarse con algn
- to get sb into bed — llevarse a algn a la cama
- to be good in bed — ser bueno en la cama
- a bed of nails / thorns — un calvario
- a bed of roses — un lecho de rosas
- to get out of bed (on) the wrong side — levantarse con el pie izquierdo
- to get up on the wrong side of the bed — levantarse con el pie izquierdo
- you've made your bed and now you must lie in it — con tu pan te lo comas
- early to bed and early to rise (makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise) — a quien madruga, Dios lo ayuda
- before noun bed jacket — mañanita
- I have a small cell with a single bed, and there's a sink, a bookshelf, a little stool and somewhere to store underclothes.
- There's a living room downstairs, a bedroom with three single beds and a bunk bed with upper and lower berths, a bathroom, and the kitchen area.
- Not wanting to go back to sleep, she slipped out of bed, and walked down the stairs to the kitchen.
- There is no specific treatment for measles but the patient should rest in bed for a few days and be given plenty to drink.
- You name it, they transport it on the back of their bicycle - animals, sofas, beds, car parts, other bicycles.
- The bed was made neatly, and a few articles of clothing were strewn across the floor.
- To help keep a child in bed while settling to sleep, try story tapes, or books they can read to themselves.
- There are 20 bedrooms, each furnished with antiques and extremely comfortable beds.
- I was going to go back to bed this morning but I didn't feel tired.
- If it takes longer than 20 or 30 minutes to get to sleep, do not lie in bed becoming anxious about sleeping.
- A couple of stuffed animals and her guitar laid peacefully on the bed with a note attached.
- The walls were all white and the only items inside were a bed, cabinet, desk, and chair.
- The bed was the largest piece of furniture in the room and stood against the south wall, opposite the door.
- I just don't enjoy leaping out of bed and into a pile of my sisters old smelly socks.
- It wasn't that late, but she was tired and felt like curling up in bed and going to sleep.
- The alarm frightened the sleep out of me; I dragged myself out of bed, and got my guests into the car.
- If your pain is severe, your doctor may suggest that you rest in bed for a day or two.
- There certainly wasn't enough space in my room for anything larger than a single bed.
- When she was convinced her parents were asleep, she slipped out of bed and dressed herself.
- Many of these fires happen when someone falls asleep in bed or on upholstered furniture such as a sofa while smoking.
1.2(in hotel, hospital)cama feminine
- In Edinburgh, 200 of the 2000 acute hospital beds are blocked with patients who do not need to be there.
- Hospitals found guilty of bad management and keeping patients in beds too long have been hit with fines totalling €6.4 million.
- He said he recognised that acute hospitals had beds occupied by patients who could be discharged if appropriate facilities were available.
- All of the hospital's 54 beds will close by early February and its patients will be transferred elsewhere.
- Ms Harney said she would target A & E units and step-down facilities for elderly patients in acute beds.
- An East Yorkshire hospital is down to its last five free beds as adult patients are forced to use a children's ward.
- The organisation has begun to release daily figures which show that an average of 200 patients are left lying on hospital trolleys waiting for beds.
- This was not due to lack of trying but due to a health service that has failed us, a minister that has done little to help and a hospital that has insufficient beds and staff.
- In a bid to improve services and free up much needed emergency beds, the foundations of a new treatment centre have been laid at Darent Valley Hospital.
- Nurses working for the Auckland Mental Health Service are refusing to admit patients unless hospitals have beds and staff available.
- Ambulances will also cease to bring patients to the A & E unit at the hospital if there are more than 25 patients awaiting beds.
- Last Wednesday, Bedford Hospital reached crisis point when beds ran short and patients kept arriving.
- For night after night she slept in a chair by his hospital bed, refusing to leave his side.
- No sick patient in a hospital bed wants to hear his nurse tell him she once had a much worse time than he is suffering now.
- It has been blamed on a rise in emergency admissions and a heavy workload, which means patients are transferred from beds, wards and hospitals quickly.
- Staff at Hemel Hempstead General Hospital yesterday set aside extra beds and intensive care facilities for anyone suffering complications as a result of the smoke hanging over the area.
- ‘The targets have meant hospitals pushing patients through beds even when they should be closed for cleaning to get rid of infection,’ he said.
- Elderly patients stuck in hospital beds because of a care crisis will be moved by next month, York's head of social services has promised.
- A South Essex psychiatric hospital is to get 12 extra beds for patients who have been treated at high-security institutions like Broadmoor.
- In an average week, four patients are blocking hospital beds because they can not be moved elsewhere.
- Until about July, two and three bed houses sold on my estate in days, sometimes hours as it's a popular estate.
- But, thanks to the new scheme, Donna has now signed up for a two bed flat on Limefield Brow.
- To think they would be smart enough to go steal a car and raid your three bed semi is ridiculous.
- A five-bed bungalow is currently being built on a half acre plot.
- The four bed detached two storey house enjoys many extras and has a walled garden to the front and rear.
- They've only got a one bed flat and he don't even want the kids there.
- Council bosses have branded the garden of his six-bed semi an eyesore and have ordered him to clean it up.
- I know of one couple who can't have any children, and should be in a one bed flat.
- The three bed dormer detached bungalow provides many extras and is within easy reach of the town centre.
- Prices start at £370,000 for two-bed apartments, with three-beds starting at £440,000.
- Forty-nine of the proposed homes will be one-bed flats.
- An old four bed farmhouse in need of renovation and a range of stone outbuildings on the land offer huge potential.
- A two-bed in the same area in 1995 would cost about £550 whereas today they cost around £900 per month.
- Newly completed two bed apartments at Riverside / Granby Row are currently for sale.
2.1(for plants)arriate masculinecantero masculine River Plate
- Chickens roam freely between beds of flowers and vegetables.
- Therefore, roses are generally most successful if grown in beds away from large plants.
- Cover any bare soil areas within your beds with a bark or wood chip mulch.
- Most home gardeners now opt for planting in beds rather than rows.
- As soon as the ground can be worked, dig or till compost or other organic matter into the soil to prepare flower and vegetable beds for spring planting.
- Raised beds make gardening possible on sites where growing plants would otherwise be impossible.
- This versatile plant serves the gardener well in beds and borders.
- Scented geraniums are undemanding creatures, easy to grow outdoors in garden beds and patio containers or indoors on a sunny windowsill.
- Outside, the landscaped gardens have water features, rose beds and garden seats.
- Over the years it has been developed, with the creation of borders and central beds filled with flowers, plants, shrubs and trees.
- The first step to getting the best from your berries is to straw the bed.
- The best camellias are usually grown in beds or in areas where the soil and surroundings offer a friendly home for them.
- Five raised beds in the final design represent the five senses and each class in the school has a bed to fill.
- They brighten woodland gardens and perennial beds, and are useful container plants.
- Along with a scent, summer bulbs offer a refreshing variety of colors and textures to enrich the border and beds of any summer garden.
- With Ceres as an inspiration and while the sun shines down, all I want to do is potter around in the garden and start great beds of lush healthy plants.
- Apply general garden fertiliser to beds and borders and lightly work it into the soil surface.
- Gardeners who have recently moved almost always welcome new plants to fill empty beds.
- The playground, with a maypole and little roundabouts, and raised beds where children could grow vegetables and flowers, was vitally important.
- An avid gardener, she planted beds with hardy perennials.
2.2(of oysters)vivero masculine
- Adjacent clumps of mussels coalesced to form extensive beds, which then served as a secondary substrate for other algal species and associated fauna.
- After the island came a long beach stroll; oystercatchers plundered the mussel beds and crows feasted on small crabs.
- Oyster beds can really get messed up by a big storm coming through.
- The reef peters out in 25m or so on a dark, sandy seabed where there is a healthy scallop bed.
- Horse mussel beds create a habitat for about 100 other species, but they are being destroyed by scallop dredging.
- The tide was out, further out than I had seen for a very long time, revealing an expanse of mud and mussel beds.
- Not only was it the same colour as the mussel bed, but it had an assortment of tiny shell fragments all over its body.
- They winter in open, coastal environments, favoring bays and inlets with sandy shores and shellfish beds.
- At first glance there seemed to be nothing on the mussel beds, but closer inspection revealed a few Curlews, and about 100 Golden Plovers.
- It was dry at low tide and filled quickly as the tide came in, the sides of the bay were stony and the bay itself was sandy with large mussel beds.
- Large mussel beds are also common in many areas.
- Possibly, wanderlust could have played a role, following herds up into the Middle East or following the shell fish beds out into the Arabian peninsular and on into India.
- The mussel beds have to be maintained during the growing period.
- The development of sewage systems by Victorian engineers meant human effluent was discharged into the sea, contaminating many shellfish beds.
- Oyster beds where young oysters are matured are as carefully looked after today as are game preserves.
- Some areas are covered with thick juvenile mussel beds on which abundant starfish graze.
- Even valuable shellfish beds around the coast are in danger because the Government has not implemented proper programmes to reduce pollution.
- The usual lot were there on the mussel beds, and in the channel, a seal was having a tough time disposing of quite a large salmon.
- The island has an untouched oyster bed while the general area has mussel and cockle beds.
- Terns and eiders had been disturbed, while eiders had been doubly hit because the pickers were depleting the mussel beds on which they feed.
3masculine lechomasculine caucemasculine fondo
- The little silvery streams criss-crossing the river bed are enough for them to eke out a living.
- The lads are covering a total distance of 144 miles, across sand, stones, mountains, dried lakes, river beds and dunes.
- Some say they were found by locals on the bed of a river, others in an unidentified cave.
- From its station near the bed of the river, it surges up to snatch at smaller fish foolish enough to swim through its field of vision.
- The terrain changes completely as we ride into the Moon Valley and onto the dry bed of the Swakop River.
- A mystery remains, however, over the way features resembling flood plains, river beds and gorges were created on Mars.
- Over a number of weeks a trench was excavated in the river bed on each side of the estuary.
- We began the first seismic line on day two with an uphill washed-out creek bed of a trail.
- Meanwhile, Elkenback and his crew spotted the fourth truck in the stream bed to the north.
- The female then moves upstream and covers the eggs with more gravel so that they are buried deep within the bed of the river.
- The muddy bed of the river is littered with boulders, but not ones that have arrived by geological forces.
- As a result of continuous mining of sand, the river bed is three metres below the sea level.
- With its river beds, attractive hill ridges and stunning mountains, it provides city dwellers access to nature right on their doorstep.
- There has obviously been little rain here for a long time and the river bed is virtually dry.
- Many goby species are found on sandy or muddy sea beds, but the rock goby, as the name implies, prefers rocky ground, and will usually be found peering out from a crevice or hole.
- Sponges are a plant-like sea animal which are harvested from the ocean bed.
- Environment officials fear that concentrations of heavy metals primarily lead, copper, and zinc in the beds of the affected rivers could work their way into the food chain.
- Sediments on lake bottoms and sea beds are far richer in biomarker molecules than we might suspect.
- The water flowed over the rocks in the stream bed, and as it flowed, it seemed to sing.
- After lunch we would trail around the neighbourhood which involved a lot of exploring of stream beds and ponds and railways.
4.1(base, support)base feminineon a bed of rice — sobre arroz
- Ash layers are generally interleaved with beds of lava and sediment, and so a rock that contains such a layer was formed at approximately the time of the ash deposition.
- Most beds are clearly graded, commonly with cross-bedded intervals towards the top.
- The formation is composed of shales, mudstones, sandstones, oil shales and coal beds accumulated in fluvial to lacustrine environments.
- Some of the sandstone beds are c.1.5 m thick with some cross bedding and burrows.
- The sandstone beds have sharp bases, fine upwards, and have rippled tops.
- Passages tend to run parallel to the strata because there are very few joints and they rarely intersect more than one bed.
- Within the Wessex Formation there are two beds of potential stratigraphic significance.
- The sedimentary rocks are well bedded and dominated by mudstones with beds 2-5 m thick.
- The vivianite occurs in dark brown and dark gray beds of glacial silt and clay.
- Sandstone beds within the conglomerates are locally planar cross-bedded.
- That year the school was in British Columbia near the site of the now-famous Burgess Shale fossil beds.
- The development of Skolithos trace fossils on the upper surface of some beds suggests periodical emergence into an intertidal zone.
- In the upper unit, flat-lying carbonate beds alternate with sands.
- The intercalated sedimentary beds were deposited on the tops of basaltic lava flows during periods of volcanic inactivity.
- Recognizable Ediacaran fossils are concentrated at the base of graded beds and are generally deformed bodies cast in erosional scours.
- The fossiliferous beds at Felsoors have been studied for over 130 years.
- The underlying Dosados sandstone member, 80 m below, is the source bed for the intrusions.
- The burrows are common below omission surfaces and erosion structures at the base of limestone beds.
- The quartz here was in flat-lying beds just below the surface.
- Offset by the blue of sky, the massive beds of rock stand out in surprising colours.
4.3Printingcama feminineto put a newspaper to bed — finalizar la preparación de una edición de un periódico
5US(of truck)plataforma feminine
- With that he put her bags in the bed of the truck and walked over to the passenger door and opened it.
- Soon, the car was attached by its back bumper to the miniature crane in the bed of the truck.
- Michael quickly moved out of the bed of the truck and opened the driver side door.
- The side benches prevent the sandbags from being stacked all the way to the edge of the truck bed.
- The size of the vehicles also offered the crew a better field of view and permitted them to move more freely in the truck beds.
- Teenagers sat in the beds of pickup trucks with their hands covering their open mouths.
- We see them in sports bars, dark lounges, or spilling from the beds of pick-up trucks.
- When they had gone through the first container, a second was delivered on the bed of a huge truck.
- The forklift operator put it behind the first two pallets, centered on the bed of the truck.
- In one, he's standing beside the open bed of a pickup truck on which lies a giant, dead buck.
- My bag was in the bed of the truck, so I grabbed it out and tried not to topple over from the lack of balance it caused me.
- He said they were built on truck beds so they could be moved from locations likely to be inspected by the United Nations.
- Next to them on the street a woman sells fruit from her pickup truck, and the bed overflows with pomelos and papayas.
- I turned sideways, leaning against the side of the truck bed, and held my arms out to her.
- Digging into the boxes stacked on the truck bed, Ian came up with a tin of luncheon meat.
- The woman took notice of me for the first time as I climbed out of the wagon bed with my belongings under my arm.
- Tedd got in the bed of the truck and was looking over the cab as we pulled up to the deer.
- Jordan turned sideways so that his back was against the side of the truck bed.
- Joe screwed the top back on the canteen, and squeezed, on his back, under the wagon bed.
- The large burly man leapt on top of the of the truck bed and unsnapped the locks on the box.
2(transfer)(seedlings) trasplantar a la intemperie
3dated(have sex with)llevarse a la camallevarse al flex Spain informal
- She was a BCom student and was suspected to be depressed because she did not get marks required to get admission to a BEd course.
- While there are undergraduate routes into teaching - mainly through the four-year BEd course - few aspiring secondary science teachers currently follow this path.
- He did his BEd. and MA in Economics from AMU and topped the list of successful candidates in MA for which he was awarded University Medal.
- One BEd student told the union: ‘Teaching is not a job that can be done without a degree.’
- He is studying for a BEd in English Literature and works as a freelance journalist.
- Students of the Pratap College of Education here have secured four of the top five positions in the BEd examination conducted by Panjab University.
- Rose of Tralee Orla O'Shea swapped her tiara for a mortarboard yesterday when she graduated from Mary Immaculate teacher training college in Limerick.Orla, who was conferred with a BEd, teaches in a girls' school in Swords, Co Dublin.
- Wendy obtained a BSc HEc in 1988, BEd in 1993 and an MSc in 1994, at the University of Saskatchewan.
- From there I thought I might make more difference lecturing to BEd students at a university.
- A native of Armagh, she was educated at St Catherine's college, Armagh and gained a Honours BEd degree from St Mary's University Belfast.
Bachelor of Education
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.