In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- We wished to avoid the constant and real threat of bedbugs, fleas, and other insect pests which we had brought home in our bags, topclothing, and soiled linens.
- From townhouses to the most humble homes, New York City is being invaded by bedbugs.
- Infected premises have to be doused with pesticides, but bedbugs are becoming resistant to the chemicals usually used to kill them.
- If you have been bitten by fleas, mites, or bedbugs you may have an infestation in your home, such as on one or more of your pets, and should try to find the infestation and get rid of it.
- But as was all too common in such imperial outposts, three of Sam's children died, as did his wife, not from an exotic disease but from typhus caught from bedbugs in a European hotel.
- Up to a quarter of an inch in size, bedbugs feed when it's dark, piercing your skin while you're sleeping and gorging themselves on your blood.
- To avoid bedbugs, wash bedding regularly at a high temperature and replace old mattresses and pillows regularly.
- I went over to her side of the room and looked to find the bed and the room covered with bedbugs.
- She says she and her two teenage sons, Miguel and Alan, were bitten by hundreds of bedbugs at the inn across from the theme park's main gate.
- Fears that an infestation of giant, blood-sucking bedbugs is plaguing south Dublin have been raised after a second outbreak was confirmed.
- A couple complained their bed was full of bedbugs.
- First call was to a Paris slum hotel, where long lines of bedbugs marched over ceilings all day, and at night fed on the blood of half-starved residents.
- But I've stayed in worse places, at inns with mattresses that had to be checked for bedbugs.
- It's not uncommon at all to battle bedbugs for a period of months, and some infestations as much as a year.
- In the last couple of months I have been bitten by bedbugs and had to deal with this problem.
- Bloodsucking bedbugs are sneaking back between the sheets some 50 years after being all but wiped out in the developed world, a new study says.
- One of the bedbugs even managed to stay latched on behind my left knee for the drive back to Dublin.
- Spiders typically bite only once, so if you're finding multiple sites of assault, the culprits might be fleas, mites, or bedbugs.
- If a homeowner had his home treated for cockroaches, for example, the insecticide would kill bedbugs and other insects as well.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.