In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Medicine cuña feminineMedicine chata femininemasculine calientacamas
- They empty bedpans, give people bed baths (not as nice as you might imagine, especially for the washer), spoon food into mouths and care when families can't.
- ‘Oh, you know,’ Jesse said, ‘cleaning bedpans, giving patients sponge baths.’
- Even the low-skilled workers who distribute the hospital meals and disinfect the bedpans must be highly trustworthy, for if they do their job wrong, patients will die.
- These kids will be up close to dawn, ready to clean bedpans and dress bedsores.
- Also at any time, bedpans and urinals are available for prolonged treatments.
- He peered outside, seeing the backside of a cursing orderly as he bent over to pick up a heap of empty bedpans.
- He owned a shop in Southampton which also sold bedpans and surgical appliances.
- And finally, be really nice to your family and friends, you never know when you might need them to empty your bedpan.
- When she comes on duty at 11 pm, she makes rounds, checking the residents for skin tears and helping them go to the toilet or use a bedpan.
- The nature of my injury meant that, for several days, I could not move or be wheeled to the lavatory, so bedpans were the only option.
- I'll help out in a hospital, as long as I don't have to do the bedpans.
- After all, who will empty the bedpans in nursing homes?
- After all, the drugs, brain-scanners, bed linen, bedpans and other hospital paraphernalia are provided by private companies earning a profit, but there isn't anyone saying they should be banned from the NHS.
- Life quickly became a routine of pain killers and bedpans, but there were small achievements worth celebrating: getting out of bed and standing for the first time, taking that first step, and walking again.
- Miss Ito, who emptied bedpans, gave body baths and held hands through the night with people in pain, was downstairs helping out.
- ‘I have to change the bedpan now,’ she said, in a slightly louder voice than was necessary.
- Mike got really good at getting the bedpan to me in seconds when I croaked that I needed it and switching them out for clean ones.
- The ward nurse gave me a list of necessaries, beginning with soap and ending with a bedpan.
- It's not all cleaning up bedpans and vomit; there are plenty of other more appealing activities that fall into the care profession category.
- Besides being a financial burden who has reduced their living space, the family as a whole has to deal with all the rituals of bathing, bedpans, feedings, and doctor visits.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.