In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Zoologyabeja feminineto keep bees — dedicarse a la apicultura
- like bees around a honey pot — como moscas en la miel
- It's an example of self-organizing cooperative behavior, and it's found among ants, bees, and other social insects.
- There are over 30,000 species of bees and in most of them the bees live solitary lives.
- Stinging insects in the U.S. are bees, yellow jackets, hornets, wasps, and fire ants.
- The best kind of bees is the bumble bee, which are bred for their speed and noise.
- They also kill pollinating insects such as bees and butterflies.
- They are reactive to honey bees and hence all the foods bees pollinate;
- Mr. John Donoghue, president of the beekeepers association, gave a slide show of trees and flowers that are good for bees and insects.
- He believed in bees; everything the bee did was perfect, from the way it flew and gathered food, to the way it conducted its social habits.
- While we waited, the boy who helps there put a box of sugary pastries outside because dozens of gathering bees had filled the shack.
- Perhaps the reason is that social bees, which are largely opportunistic, dominate pollinator faunas in northern regions.
- The fly actually has a rather complex little ‘brain,’ as do bees, ants, and other higher insects.
- A large, shiny-headed bee hovered over a tangled rose bush and then floated off into the air, the extinguished sound leaving an even deeper silence.
- Insects such as bees facilitate pollination as they buzz from plant to plant while feeding on nectar or collecting pollen.
- For example, ants, termites, many bees, and some wasps are social insects that form organized communities.
- Wasps and bees can be classified as solitary or social depending on whether they live alone or in colonies.
- Most Australian bees are solitary, but some live collectively, in hives and produce honey.
- As this type of bee is very important for flower pollination, I think my botanically-inclined readers will enjoy learning more.
- Even accounting for native bee pollinators, honeybees still do most of the pollinating of fruits and vegetables in your garden.
- As with any type of wasp, bee, or yellow jacket, please exercise care to avoid getting stung!
- Perhaps it was their ability to be pollinated by bees and other insects, or perhaps the way animals that ate their fruit could disperse seeds in their droppings.
- The foe not being the bee - the honeybee has never let us down.
- A bee flying home typically pauses at the entrance while a guard bee checks her chemical credentials as a nest mate.
- In fact I had noticed a solitary bee dancing in the air at the front of the house on quite a few occasions this season.
- Fennel, dandelions, and chicory are three with beautiful flowers that attract bees and beneficial insects.
- Of all the types of bees, honeybees have several advantages as pollinators.
- So that touching and feeling is a shared characteristic between honey bees and stingless bees.
- These trees provided food to bats, and many herbivorous mammals, insects, butterflies and bees.
2US(social gathering)círculo masculine
- Many are now familiar with the One Book, One City program, a sort of mass reading bee, designed to promote civic and literary conversation around a single book read in the same week.
- The old-time quilting bee is well remembered, although most quilts were actually solo products.
- I've been so busy being investigated, preparing for this lynch bee starting tomorrow that I hadn't had an opportunity to…
- There will be an emergency quilting bee to make them a wedding quilt tomorrow at the Torger's house, but only certain families are being asked to come.
- Many woman still desire the type of social interaction that quilting bees offered.
- Classes and crops are serving the same social function that quilting bees once did.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.