In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Only the beefburgers and pork kebabs were slightly dry.
- Time to cook my tea, a lovely large beefburger from my local butcher.
- Successes include organic beefburgers made with meat from a farm near Petersfield.
- I finished my beefburger and left a few of the more soggy french fries lying in a puddle of brown sauce.
- Thieves stole a box of 100 beefburgers from a barbecue at Purton carnival.
- A turkey burger is sweeter and lighter than a beefburger and can be teamed with all or any of your favourite burger toppings, from melted cheese to mustard or dill pickles.
- Manufacturers could have to cut the amount of salt in beefburgers, bread, breakfast cereals, sausages and baked beans.
- There are some nights when only a decent beefburger will do, don't you find?
- Here you will find pies, sausages, extra large beefburgers, all made on the premises fit to grace the finest of tables, not to mention the high-quality meats available.
- Prior to 1986 all beef from our old cows was going into ready-prepared meals such as beefburgers and hamburgers.
- Apart from the beefburgers and sausages that were left in the fridge, of course;
- Freshly-made soups were hot, wholesome and tasty, the homemade beefburger was a thick, meaty challenge for the appetite, while the warm pasta salad and mushroom risotto was beautifully presented.
- They even make beefburgers - but only with the leanest beef, using a grill to get rid of most of the fat.
- I had a beefburger with salad for €3.55.
- ‘No,’ said I, taking a hulking bite out of the nicest beefburger I've ever tasted.
- And from the start of the next academic year new, although as yet unspecified, standards on the content of processed foods like beefburgers, sausages and cakes will be introduced with a view to reducing fat, salt and sugar consumption.
- Half an hour later, I left laden with gammon steaks, beefburgers, bacon, a side of beef, poultry, a bag of aubergines and two dozen eggs - all from local producers.
- The barbecue did a roaring trade and several hundred beefburgers and hot dogs were sold.
- Suzanne picked up her beefburger.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.