In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Only a few insects feed on lichens - some moths and beetles among them.
- Although most of the beetles were dead, a number were still quite active and one beetle climbed onto a film vial in the pan and took flight.
- Among all the insects only beetles have these specialized fore-wings.
- They can easily slice right though a beetle's hard armour.
- He takes out a glass case containing the beautiful beetle, with a golden shell, black spots, and antennae, just as he had originally said.
- This beetle's black antennae are nearly as long as its body.
- Rare forms of beetle and fly have been known to live there, and it offers a breeding ground for otters.
- Ants, beetles, and termites turn over soil and wood.
- The hard sheath over the beetle's wings has a waxy surface dotted with tiny nonwaxy bumps.
- A variety of insects, including some beetles and moths, mimic bees and wasps.
- Insects, especially beetles and ants, are the main food of Downy Woodpeckers.
- In ancient Egypt they worshipped all kinds of creatures even insects and bugs like a scarab beetle.
- This tiny black female beetle, the size of a poppy seed, is already spreading in the Great Smoky Mountains.
- The beetles' backs are covered with bumps - under a microscope, they resemble a landscape of peaks and valleys.
- Mark's passion for peculiar pets started when he collected caterpillars, beetles and scorpions as a child.
- It turns out that only some male horned scarab beetles grow long horns and battle for mates.
- I see cucumber beetles in the garden all summer long.
- Over 1,000 species of beetle and spider have been found, many of which are dependent on the trees for their survival.
- Green June beetles also emerge in July and they also feed on ripe fruit.
- Adult beetles hide in soil during the day and fly to trees to feed at night.
1(hammer)maza femininemarro masculine Mexico
- Champ was prepared especially for the festival of Hallowe'en when large quantities of potatoes were pounded with a cylindrical wooden implement called a beetle.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.