In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1remolacha femininebetabel masculine Mexicobetarraga feminine Chile
- Finely chop the shallots, garlic, basil, celery, parsley and beetroot and place in a bowl.
- We didn't eat salad except on Sundays for tea and it would only be lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber, maybe a little beetroot.
- When it starts to foam, toss in the beetroot and cook, turning frequently, for a couple of minutes until coated in butter and glossy.
- We will grow a smaller selection of vegetables, only those which we like to eat and which we can grow well; I'm thinking of broad beans, runner beans, courgettes, spinach and beetroot.
- And it was complemented texturally, visually and tastily by its marinated baby beetroots.
- Vegetables such as beetroot and celery benefit from a straw mulch.
- Nestle the beetroot in the rock salt and scatter with thyme.
- I usually start the day with a juice I make from organic carrots, apples, beetroot and ginger.
- Using a slotted spoon, divide the beetroot and herbs between four dinner plates and crumble the feta cheese over the top.
- The garden provided cauliflower, tomatoes, green peppers, spinach, beetroot, carrots, onions, rap and cabbage to the local market.
- The club has grown a wide variety of vegetables and herbs including carrots, Brussels sprouts and beetroot, as well as tomatoes and cucumbers in the greenhouse.
- Toast the poppy seeds briefly in a small non-stick pan (I use a saucer-sized one) then scatter them over the mashed beetroot.
- It was served with a punchily dressed green salad and another salad of beetroot, potato and watercress.
- Very European, quite old-fashioned with a slice of smoked ham and old-style veggies like crinkle-cut beetroot and huge onion rings.
- Carrots, radish, beetroot, turnip, could be consumed raw.
- Variety is the spice of life as the herb and salad garden comes into its own, along with beetroot and spring onions.
- The salad will have a purple/red hue from the beetroot.
- Here community volunteers grow foods such as cabbage, spinach, beetroot, onion and carrots.
- So far they have planted lettuce, cabbage, mustard, beetroot and pawpaw trees.
- On the living room table are three huge salad bowls and onions, tomatoes, feta cheese, sesame seeds, beetroot, celery, spinach and garlic.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.