In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1mendigo masculinemendiga femininebeggars can't be choosers — a veces no se está en situación de exigir nada
- You might call him a beggar, or a homeless man, or whatever.
- How many times have you been asked in the street for some money from a seemingly homeless person or a beggar?
- I do voluntary work, am a Christian, invariably give money to beggars and try to spread a little happiness as I go by.
- ‘One of your beggars asked me for money for a cup of coffee,’ he said.
- Perhaps, the rich people should learn from the poor beggars who always rummage through the garbage for their daily survival.
- Rather than return to jail after a weekend outside, Markov became a homeless man, cultivating the look of a madman in order to get more money as a beggar.
- The way of it was, I was sent out with a broom to chase away the gypsy beggars at the door looking for food or money, and he happened to step in the way.
- For those homeless and beggars in the streets, life was even more miserable.
- If I give money to a beggar it is because I want to do something nice for him.
- He vaguely remembered his mother telling him those same words many years ago when he was giving spare lunch money to a beggar.
- So he never responds when a blind or crippled beggar or a mother cradling her baby holds out a hand for money.
- I live in London, where daily we come across beggars and homeless people.
- I can't spare anything for little beggar children like you.
- They are so stressed they have become like homeless beggars.
- One young beggar, surnamed Liu, begins his work before dawn and can earn more than 200 yuan a day.
- She was no more than a poor beggar, young, sick and starving.
- We have to discourage begging and simultaneously find beggars another way of earning a living.
- The streets were crowded with poor dirty beggars.
- It would give beggars a chance to have a decent living.
- On the way to his house Yuki was flagged down by many beggars and poor crippled souls.
- Indeed, the poor beggars attending the meeting in April would have witnessed Lee's wholehearted endorsement of his chief executive's vision.
- After all, the poor beggars can't nip outside for a quick drag, can they?
- Plus listen to my show this week to see how you can get in for free on my guestlist, you lucky beggars!
- Woe to the poor beggar upon whom he sees, or thinks he sees, spots or blemishes.
- There were many a poor beggar who saw the show and realized they could become something if they tried!
- Let the poor beggars have a childhood and allow reception-class teachers to down their clipboards and go back to teaching them.
- Among those who will not be weeping into their hankies over his ‘resignation’ are the poor beggars in York he put out of work.
- If it was any other country, you might even feel sorry for the poor beggars.
- He was a cute little beggar, looked like you as well.
- The cool million generally goes to some lucky beggar down south.
- The poor beggar's badly burned body was supposed to be in the coffin awaiting collection.
- Unfortunately it was just another Sunday evening rush trip to keep my hand in, as I couldn't be with those lucky beggars spending the weekend down in Wales.
2Britishinformal(fellow)he's a silly/conceited beggar — es un tonto/creído
- you lucky beggar! — ¡qué potra tienes!
- the little beggar's hidden my slippers — el muy pillo me ha escondido las pantuflas
1(country/social class) arruinar(country/social class) empobrecerpauperizar(person/family) arruinarto beggar belief — ser difícil de creer
- to beggar description — ser indescriptible
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.