In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1on or in behalf of sb
- on or in sb's behalf
- he argued on her behalf that she had been very ill — alegó en su defensa / en su favor que había estado muy enferma
- I'd like to thank you on behalf of the team — quisiera darle las gracias en nombre de / de parte de todo el equipo
- he accepted the award on his father's/her behalf — aceptó el premio en nombre de su padre/en su nombre
- I'm ringing on behalf of a friend — llamo de parte de un amigo
- don't worry on my behalf — por mí no te preocupes
- a collection on behalf of the victims — una colecta a beneficio de / en pro de los damnificados
- In the previously more common subsidized loan, the state pays the interest on the student 's behalf while he or she is attending school.
- In turn, the organization will negotiate on your behalf for lower interest rates and a more convenient payment option.
- Many of our California members worked hard on my behalf, and I want to thank them for their assistance.
- That means if someone starts to campaign on their behalf, so to speak, and breaks the rules, they can be held liable.
- The full mortgage repayment, including interest and capital, is paid on their behalf.
- The hospital is also keen to hear from those interested in fundraising on its behalf.
- There were so many prayers that were offered and we're so grateful to everyone for all that they did on Elizabeth's behalf and on our behalf.
- Water voles are making a comeback in East Yorkshire, thanks to backing from farmers and landowners for a campaign on their behalf.
- Would you please let me know if you have authority from your principal to accept service of process on its behalf.
- Speaking through an interpreter, he told the Daily Echo: ‘Thank you to everyone who has campaigned on my behalf.’
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.