In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(conduct)conducta femininecomportamiento masculineI want you on your best behavior — quiero que te portes mejor que nunca
- he's been put on his best behavior — le han dicho que se comporte
- behavior toward sb
- his behavior toward his wife was disgraceful — fue vergonzoso como se portó con su mujer
- If this fails to moderate bad behaviour, officers will visit the family home.
- There is no evidence of any self harm or of threatening or aggressive behaviour towards others.
- He complained that the doctor's behaviour towards him had been inappropriate.
- I don't think it is wrong, or a waste of time, to point out the virtue of manners and good behaviour.
- Nella was still angry at their patronising and arrogant behaviour towards her in those times.
- We then had to consider whether permanent exclusion was a reasonable response to that behaviour.
- Set a good example with your courteous behavior toward the parents of kids on the other team.
- The tendency toward formal behavior is strengthened by the tradition of using titles.
- It was totally unacceptable behaviour towards people who had given you long and loyal service.
- He was a gentleman through and through, and his behaviour towards her had never been less than proper.
- This forward behavior toward an adult earned him another frown from his older brother.
- This could lead to writing a code of conduct to guide their behaviour with each other.
- It was tempting to condemn him for his attitude and his behaviour towards the girl.
- This pattern of behavior continued until it was time for the first quarter's report card.
- The other is that the signing of the pledge was a form of indirectly enforced good behaviour.
- Thinking helps us to consider what is, or is not, appropriate behavior towards fellow human beings.
- Teaching is undermined by poor behaviour and teachers need practical support.
- If someone is to be responsible for this unacceptable behavior, it had to be him.
- They often show aggressive behavior toward health professionals when the truth of the symptoms is challenged.
- Seldom have we witnessed a more shameless display of rude and vulgar behavior towards an invited guest.
- What would a roomful of machines exhibiting this behavior sound like?
- The variability of behaviors in natural settings may be a result of several factors.
- Perhaps this is because they mimic evolved solutions, so their behaviour seems more natural.
- We see this as a valuable perspective on reproductive behavior in natural habitats.
- I gave up after much erratic behaviour on her part and distanced myself from fear.
- This is so the otters' food can be hidden to encourage their natural foraging behaviour.
- In fact operating transnationally should be a natural and normal behaviour.
- The behavior of the machine is fascinating, but it has little to do with the concept of counting.
- Ants exemplify many behaviors and phenomena which are common to other insect species.
- In times of crisis, companies tend to fall back on their habitual patterns of behavior.
- Soon though, my growing depression and erratic behaviour put a terrible strain on our love.
- You only understand how human behavior functions if you look at both sides.
- Failing to do that leaves the system open to potential behavior that falls short of the mark.
- When staff became concerned by his erratic behaviour and obscene language they called police.
- Mary's frustration turned into rage, and her behavior became increasingly erratic.
- Children may have to suppress their natural behaviours and tendencies to conform and fit in, which can cause undue distress.
- In addition, the meaning of many social and emotional behaviours may not become apparent until the child is older.
- Knowing these natural instincts and behaviors can give you some insight training your cat.
2(functioning)Mechanics funcionamiento masculinePhysics Chemistry comportamiento masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.