In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Their actions led to them being filmed by Belgian television crews.
- Now the production team, which is mainly comprised of Belgian engineers, is offering to rent out demo models.
- The bureau is confident of attracting more Dutch, German and Belgian visitors.
- Homemade chocolate brulée made with Belgian chocolate - well, who could resist?
- She found a historical film made in 1959 by Belgian missionaries and took it to Rwanda.
- Recent information suggests that the game is in fact of Belgian origin.
- They broadcast a film on Belgian television last week from which the clip above was taken.
- There's a good selection of Belgian beers.
- He paused before a tray of Belgian chocolates, and examined them carefully.
- They also owned a van with British registration plates found by Belgian police at the scene.
- There were, though, Belgian police officers on the majority of the steps between the supporters.
- However, under Belgian law couples must take part in a civil ceremony prior to any church service.
- Hobeika said he was willing to testify in the lawsuit and met Belgian officials yesterday.
- It was set up in 1973 as a non-profit-making organization under Belgian law.
- I like Belgian chocolates but I'd soon get sick of eating them all day.
- I've found Belgian guests like their own space and don't like questions.
- He was a bit crude and matter-of-fact in his dialogue, though he did promise me a box of Belgian chocolates.
- We believe the decision was highly influenced by Belgian politics.
- Once in 1961 after they were married, and twice years later during a period of Belgian marriage guidance.
- The ship later came free with the rising tide and was anchored in Belgian waters for a damage inspection.
- Yet in a 1952 referendum the Belgians voted in favour of keeping the monarchy.
- But the Belgians refused to believe that he was serious about relinquishing their nationality.
- The award is rarely received by foreign nationals and the pair are the first Belgians to be honoured in this way.
- After the Second World War many Belgians and Italians came to France to rebuild.
- The Danes, Belgians and Italians are more relaxed still with their working weeks of fewer than 39 hours.
- Last Tuesday, December 14th, the spotlight was on some Belgians who have come to work in Ireland.
- The French and Spanish then came through and in an exciting finish the Belgians held off a comeback by the Irish to take the bronze.
- Russians and Belgians had their shops smashed if they were in the way of the mob or went unrecognized as allies.
- And also she has scoured the world to see what successful countries like the Russians and the Belgians are doing.
- Tomorrow play begins at 9:30 as the Belgians have to catch a flight home.
- The only effect would be a lot more miserable Belgians.
- As Belgians became emphatically European, their own national identity was increasingly under question.
- The Belgians sponsored a compromise which attempted to address linguistic sensitivities.
- Suddenly the Belgians are exciting and confident and the nation is daring to hope once more.
- They reported that the fatalities also include three Danes, two Swedes, two Belgians and one French.
- On the surface the discussions between the French and Belgians were cordial, but in reality each side was suspicious of the other.
- The legal system is based on traditional tribal customs and the German and French models introduced by the Belgians.
- Both of the Belgians are on the comeback trail having spent last year struggling with injury or illness.
- Olivier explained that village carvers had made the sculptures in response to orders from Belgians.
- What this says about the Belgians relative to the Dutch, I don't know.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.