In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1feminine campanamasculine cencerromasculine cascabelmasculine timbremasculine timbrehandbell — campanilla feminine
- to ring the bell — tocar el timbre/la campana
- as clear as a bell
- his voice was as clear as a bell — lo oía como si estuviera a mi lado
- bells and whistles
- it comes with all the bells and whistles — viene con toda la parafernalia de accesorios
- as sound as a bell — en perfectas condiciones
- to give sb a bell — darle un toque a algn
- to ring a bell
- it rings a bell — me suena
- the name rings a bell — me suena el nombre
- does that ring any bells with you? — ¿te suena (de algo)?
- The bell of the trumpet is decorated with a garland bearing the maker's name and the place where the instrument was made.
- He made me an unbelievable trumpet with carvings and designs and a big double bell, like a space-age trumpet.
- Researchers in Germany have been looking carefully at the after glow of the big bang and have decided that the universe is shaped like a trumpet bell.
2.1the bell — la campana
- she was in third place at the bell — al sonar la campana iba en tercera posición
- to be saved by the bell
- he was saved by the bell — (in boxing) lo salvó la campana
- Barkley charged out of his corner at the bell for the third round and backed Hearns into a corner.
- Referee Tony Perez reached five in the count and the bell couldn't save Ellis.
- By the fifth round, he had a point deducted for hitting after the bell.
- At the bell, he attacked and kept firing until the ref called a halt.
- He could barely contain himself when his opponent could not answer the bell for the seventh.
- He was still landing those bruising jabs at the bell in his going away triumph.
- Just as the bell ended the fifteenth round, Frazier put his hands up and yelled something at Ali.
- At the bell for round one, he came out fast and was up on his toes circling to the left nonstop.
- Sampson mauled Johnson the entire last half of the second round and the corner threw in the towel at the bell for round three.
- Two minutes after the bell for round one, Liston was the new undisputed champ.
- Right before the bell for the first round the anticipation was high.
- Even at the bell to start the round she stood for a second and looked in disbelief at her coach.
- As the round ended, both fighters got toe-to-toe and exchanged savage blows until and after the bell.
- Johnson needed the judges help too, because there was no way the fight would end between first and final bell.
- He looked as if he was going to eke out another methodical round until the two fighters clashed heads just seconds before the bell.
- He struggled to his corner as the bell had already ended the round.
- The referee stepped between them thinking he heard the bell ending the round.
- To their credit, the boys answered the bell for round two, but it didn't last long.
- Harrison could well have finished it but the bell intervened to his opponent's relief.
- He won the world heavyweight title at the age of 22 when his opponent was unable to answer the bell for the seventh round.
2.2(in seafaring)campana feminineat four bells — a las dos horas de empezar el turno
- to sound two bells — dar dos campanadas
3.1(of flower)campana femininecorola feminine
3.2(of instrument)pabellón masculinecampana feminine
- Just then a stag belled loudly.
- My very earliest memories are of picnics with my mother beneath the great trees in Richmond Park in London, of red deer stags belling in rut, of lightning and thunder.
- My very earliest memories include playing beneath the trees and listening to the stags belling in the dusk.
- During the rut in October and November you can hear the stags belling or roaring.
- The wood in the half-light waking at daybreak to the belling of stags that bursts into barks.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.