In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(under)debajo deabajo de Latin Americathe room directly below this one — la habitación justo abajo de esta Latin America
- 500m below the surface — a 500m bajo la superficie / por debajo de la superficie
1.2(downstream of)más abajo de
2(inferior, junior to)por debajo deall employees below executive level — todos los empleados por debajo del nivel ejecutivo
3(less than)por debajo debelow average — inferior a / por debajo de la media
- interest rates are back below 10% — los tipos de interés vuelven a estar por debajo del 10%
- if you earn below £8,000 a year — si ganas menos de 8.000 libras al año
- below zero — bajo cero
- if the temperature falls below 20°C — si la temperatura desciende por debajo de 20°C
- below standard — por debajo del nivel exigido
1.1(underneath)abajoput it on the shelf below — ponlo en el estante de abajo
- the people in the apartment below — la gente del apartamento de abajo
- down below we could see … — abajo veíamos …
- seen from below — visto desde abajo
- So he jumped below and spread the chart of Mag Bay out on the table and yelled soundings and direction to me.
- If you slip, you go tumbling over the roof into the expanse below.
- And one, two three....the young giant leapt into the Sea below.
- He fell past the tree and onto the ground below.
- It fell a few feet below us, then came zooming back up straight at me.
1.2Nauticalabajoto go below — bajar
- I went below to rest, because I would be on watch later.
- Despite the excitement of my first sea voyage, I was asleep almost as soon as we went below to the cabin which I shared with my baby brother Charles, just seven months old.
- We did not think it very serious so went below again cursing the iceberg for disturbing us.
- Eight oclock came, and the watch went below, and, for the whole of the first hour, the ship was tearing on, with studding-sails out, alow and aloft, and the night as dark as a pocket.
- The wind at the time the captain went below was blowing a fresh breeze from east-north-east, with a heavy sea, which increased to a violent gale; he was, however, not called until 2 o'clock.
1.3literary (on earth)en la tierrahere below — aquí en la tierra
2(in text)más abajosee diagram below — véase el diagrama más abajo
- Check out the simple virtual reality example below and then try one of the sites listed at the bottom of the page.
- This drops down parallel to another pitch described below and eventually the two merge.
- By filling out the form below and then submitting it, you can report any injury or death involving consumer products to us, or report an unsafe product to us.
- These analyses will be elaborated below and subsequently defended against various alternative analyses.
- The tables below rank the retailers in order of the quickest to respond and the friendliest reps.
- The table below gives the final rank for India in the Women's World Cup.
- Check out the sales ranks of the books below - this is a pretty good indication of how much we care about this problem.
- But there are, of course, other tests, apart from the one adopted below and apart from the one that we pressed for.
- Examine the vignettes below and then read the discussion that follows.
- As will be presented below, this same level of analysis can be applied to other stay/leave models.
- This can be combined with the suit ranking variation described below.
- You have the option of clicking on the subjects below or simply reading the interview from the beginning.
3(of temperature)20 (degrees) below — 20 (grados) bajo cero
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.