In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It makes, however, an imposing finale, since it is on the whole cheerful in mood - in the key traditionally associated with blessing and benediction.
- After a rousing closing hymn and benediction, people were leaving with pleased looks on their faces - even though some of them were clearly thinking hard about what they had just heard and experienced.
- Is it really true, for instance, as the pastor has heard from a brave few, that a majority of the older parishioners would like to have noneucharistic church services conclude with Benediction?
- He laid his own over ours in a sort of benediction, a blessing.
- Raising her hands, she said a brief benediction.
- The focus passage closes with a brief, moving benediction.
- As the convention concluded, a revivalist preacher conducted a benediction.
- The service concluded with a joint benediction by the pastors of the four churches and a dismissal by Deacon Carol.
- An encouraging and positive General Assembly passed into history on the Thursday evening with the singing of Psalm 122 and the apostolic benediction.
- Immediately he remembered Brahma, and he prayed to him, ‘I want to use that benediction, that special benediction.’
- Morning prayer at Iona never concludes with a benediction; evening prayer never begins with a call to worship.
- The error must have happened when he transcribed the benediction.
- Baptisms are performed out of a horse trough, and ‘Happy Trails To You ‘constitutes the sung benediction.’
- Three volleys would be fired by the guard, and the Last Post played, followed by a prayer, hymn, and benediction.
- In January, he delivered the benediction at the President's inauguration.
- A chaplain is trying to deliver the closing benediction with confetti and late-arriving balloons still cascading down from the rafters.
- But before I turn the service back over to our pastor for his benediction, I will have to return to the state of my mother's soul.
- We close with a communion service; youth serve the older members the bread and wine, saying a special blessing and benediction upon their new friends.
- It was somewhat with surprise that she heard the acolytes singing the benediction, and she brought her full attention back to the matter at hand.
- There was a gospel choir, a Hispanic singer of the national anthem and a rabbi offering a benediction.
2Benediction(service)bendición sacramental feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.