In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Expatriates from the Indian subcontinent staff stores, Bengalis cut hair in countless barbershops, and groups of Somali youth offer to wash your car at busy urban parking lots.
- Following the demolition, there was a gradual migration north to the Commercial Road area and, by the middle of the 1960s, many Bengalis were settling around Brick Lane.
- The Hindu Bengalis were the first Indians to master the English language and to learn their master's ways, the first to flatter him by emulation, and the first to earn his distrust by unbidden demonstrations of wit and industry.
- Many homesick Bengalis in Bangalore have discovered a small restaurant tucked away in the heart of the Majestic area that gives them a taste of home-cooked food.
- Then, in varying degrees, came the turn of the Bengalis, the Mohajirs and the Sindhis, and the Baloches.
- Some of the most populous Indian groups within the United States are Gujaratis, Bengalis, Punjabis, Marathis, and Tamils.
- In the north, Bengalis, Kashmiris, Punjabis, Gujaratis, Rajputs, and Marathas are among the prominent groups.
- They raise their family in the Massachusetts suburbs, where they form a close circle of friends with other émigré Bengalis.
- I am a Bengali and the centre really helped me because all kinds of people mix here, Bengalis and Pakistanis and other Asians.
- Today, it is estimated that there are 240 Bengalis in the city, around 80 families, with a majority of them employed at the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre.
- Though Dhaka, a chaotic megacity with a population uncountably north of 10 million, dominates the political life of the nation, 80 percent of Bengalis still live in rural areas.
- As with other Hindus, Bengalis cremate the dead.
- With the creation of Bangladesh in 1971, official records were of emigration from that country, separate from that of Indians and Bengalis.
- The Indian Bengalis and the Bengali expatriates all over the world would pay almost anything to have Hilsha in their plate.
- We had Bengalis, Pakistanis, Somalis and, of course, white working class people.
- Today, I can't make films only for the Bengalis, it must be for a wider audience, not only at home but also people spread across the world in these globalised times.
- Then there was the ‘Gajan Dance’ that signifies the year-end for the Bengalis and is meant to be a tribute to goddess Durga in the month of Chaitra (March-April).
- ‘What you see today is a result of the initiative of the families resettled here,’ said a group of Bengalis.
- This perception refers to the fact that Bengal was the first imperial bridgehead in India and Bengalis the first group of Indians who took to English education.
- We have come a long way from 1978, when violence against Asians was so alarming that 10,000 Bengalis marched from Whitechapel to Whitehall to protest against the murder of a garment worker near Brick Lane.
- This polyglot is not only fluent in these two languages but also in Bengali, Hindi, Tamil (his mother tongue) and English.
- Though English continues to be a strong second language in Bangladesh, Bengali is the official language of government and education.
- Though Begum Azad has sung in other languages including Bengali, Hindi, Urdu and Telugu, it is her mother-tongue that she is most comfortable with.
- But in recent years, store signs in Polish have been joined by signs written in Bengali and Arabic.
- She could read and write Bengali, Gujarati, English and Hindi of course was her natural medium of expression.
- Clearly Hasina is writing in Bengali, her mother tongue.
- Thus Tagore never wrote fiction or poetry in any language other than Bengali.
- Raised in Seattle, she remembers Bengali simply as the language her parents argued in.
- Italian and German don't even make it into the top ten of world languages - unlike Arabic, Malay or Bengali.
- They speak mainly Nepali but also understand Hindi, Bengali and English.
- He is a linguist and fluently speaks in Urdu, Persian, Tamil, Nepali, Bengali, Hindi and Assamese, besides English and Khasi languages.
- Information will be given out either through audio or visual means in languages including Urdu, Mirpuri Punjabi, Bengali, Gujerati and Chinese.
- An additional 439,239 people reported speaking other Indic languages, such as Punjabi, Bengali and Malayalam.
- But one or two were very intelligent and any that could talk could speak at least English and Bengali - some could speak up to 5 languages.
- The community researchers translated the tapes in Punjabi, Urdu, Bengali, and Sylheti into English.
- His works have been translated into numerous Indian languages including Hindi, Bengali and Malayalam.
- We meet children who speak Bengali, English, and Welsh, reminding us that, in fact, 70% of the world is multilingual; it is only in England where this seems unusual.
- The children are expected to know everything in two languages - Bengali and English.
- Directions are given in English, Gujarati, Urdu or Bengali, depending on which card the user is carrying.
- The charity has staff who can speak various languages including Punjabi, Hindi, Urdu, Bengali, Gujarati and Chinese.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.