In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The new targets relate to a number of chemicals including benzene, carbon monoxide and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.
- Cholesterol is soluble in chloroform, ether, benzene, or hot alcohol and other organic solvents.
- The alkanes are very poorly soluble in water but are soluble with many of the other organic solvents such as chloroform and benzene.
- City traffic is a significant source of pollutants such as sulphur dioxide, particulate matter, benzene, and carbon monoxide.
- Its most toxic ingredient is benzene, a volatile organic compound that increases the risk of cancer.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.