In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- There was also a large turnout of veterans in their green blazers and blue berets.
- He was also wearing a coat with fur trim on the hood and a beret which had a badge on the front.
- Turn out your cupboard for old straw sunhats, berets, baseball caps and felt hats.
- There was a little boy in a beret and short trousers, and under his arm a loaf of bread that seemed as long as he was.
- In blazers and berets, their medals shining, they smiled broadly and soaked up the applause and cheers.
- ‘In the last few weeks we have been wearing berets instead of helmets during our patrols,’ said the soldier.
- He wore a green uniform with two brass bars on each shoulder and a red beret tucked under one epaulet.
- His father worked in the shipping industry, and was unconventional enough to wear a beret to work instead of the statutory bowler hat.
- Try on a cool beret, cowboy hat or newsboy to hide your straggly fringe.
- It was like a beret, though round and from the center of the hat, hung a tassel.
- My uncle was a gruff but affectionate character who wore a beret, blue coveralls and smoked hand-rolled cigarettes.
- The Colonel said the soldiers would have been wearing helmets or berets, not floppy hats as in the photographs.
- They wore leather jackets and sunglasses and berets and drove fast cars, and they were very aware of their glamour.
- A pair of sunglasses and a beret over her blonde hair finished her transformation.
- However, traditional clothes - such as berets and loose-fitting shirts for men and black shawls for women - may still be seen in some rural areas.
- The old soldiers, wearing military berets and caps, were greeted with warm applause, hugs and kisses from a grateful crowd lining the streets.
- Members of the 60-strong association will wear their berets and regimental blazers and parade through the town centre.
- She was dressed in a stylish outfit for church, wearing a leather patchwork blazer and a felt beret in place of the traditional headdress.
- But, look around and you will see a few hats, caps and berets going around town.
- I grinned as I found a black beret, turning back to Floyd with it on.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.