In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1to bestow sth on / upon sb — ofrecerle algo a algn formal
- to bestow a gift on sb — hacerle un obsequio a algn
- he bestowed a kiss on her cheek — depositó un beso en su mejilla
- he bestowed his affections on her — la hizo depositaria de su amor
- We should count our blessings every day and take pleasure in the miraculous gifts bestowed upon us.
- Lavish gifts are bestowed upon visitors, guests, and distant cousins alike.
- These awaken our appreciation for all the gifts God has bestowed upon us and remind us of how much God loves us.
- On accepting the honour bestowed on her by the Mayo Society, Mary received a standing ovation by all in attendance.
- Many honours have been bestowed on this outstanding algebraist.
- Too many honours have been bestowed on him, surely he should say enough is enough.
- These are both very prestigious honours bestowed upon someone who had never even seen pole vault five years ago.
- It was the greatest honour that could be bestowed on her and she was very proud to be mayor.
- Her story deeply touches me, and I think she fully deserves the various titles and honours bestowed upon her.
- It is a gift, bestowed on relatively few people, and certainly not something to be mandated.
- This is the first time this honour has been bestowed on a Councillor from the area.
- Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other men, but a right that belongs to us by the laws of God and nature.
- Warmest congratulations to Jarlath on this very special honour which is being bestowed on him this weekend.
- I would first like to thank the University for the honour it has bestowed upon me today.
- Both men were well worthy of the honour bestowed on them and should be an example to others to put in the same effort in their native place.
- Johnny is a complex man, working to come to terms with the haunting gift that has been bestowed upon him.
- At the time this honour had only been bestowed on 20 leading obstetricians in the world.
- These were the only honours bestowed on this legendary maestro during his lifetime.
- The Lord Lieutenant High Honour is bestowed once a year by the Lord Lieutenant of each county.
- They are gifts bestowed on us at milestone birthdays and in retirement.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.