In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of ally, principles) traición feminine(of promise) incumplimiento masculine(of secrets) delación femininea betrayal of trust — un abuso de confianza
- an act of betrayal — una traición
- Betrayal, when stemming from childhood, results in an expectation that betrayals will occur again and again, so a person is constantly anticipating them.
- As a father himself he finds such disloyalty and betrayal completely unacceptable.
- When her mother, who is clearly only concerned with her own prosperity, deserts her, it is only the first of a series of betrayals and letdowns.
- A system that has brought unimagined prosperity cannot survive if such betrayals become commonplace.
- The cocaine trade being so lucrative, it encouraged disloyalty and betrayal.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.