In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1esponsales masculine formalcompromiso (matrimonial) masculine
- Hey, I've arranged a lot of betrothals, you can't expect me to remember each one!
- She had seemed so girlish, chattering on about clothes and gossiping about the recent betrothals.
- Uncertainty plagued her, following every move she made, surfacing every time anyone mentioned her betrothal.
- Food is important at ceremonial occasions such as naming ceremonies, betrothals, marriages, and deaths.
- From the moment they were considered ready for betrothal, women were under an enormous amount of societal pressure to marry.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.