In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Today, the Netherlands has a constitutional monarchy with a bicameral, multi-party system administered by a premier and a coalition cabinet of ministers.
- Jamaica, a member of the British Commonwealth, has a bicameral parliamentary legislative system.
- The bill was finally and reluctantly approved by the First Chamber of the bicameral Parliament in January 2005.
- The introduction of self-government from the 1850s created bicameral parliaments, with elected lower houses but nominated upper houses in two colonies.
- The legislative branch consists of a bicameral general assembly with ninety-nine representatives and thirty senators and the vice president.
- The legislative branch is composed of a bicameral parliament with a senate appointed by the ruling party and an assembly chosen by popular vote.
- The Ethiopian governmental structure is a parliamentary democracy consisting of a bicameral legislature, a prime minister, and a president.
- The president is elected for a five-year term by an electoral college consisting of elected members of both the bicameral parliament and the state legislatures.
- The legislative branch consists of a bicameral parliament with a Chamber of Counselors and a Chamber of Representatives.
- Within its government, power is shared between a directly elected president, a prime minister, and a bicameral legislature (Parliament).
- The legislature is bicameral with an upper house based on equal representation of the thirteen counties with two senators each and a lower house based on population.
- A bicameral parliament with a Senate and a House of Assembly has only advisory functions.
- Legislative power resides in a bicameral parliament composed of the Assemblée Nationale and the Senat (Senate).
- We need a single legislative council, a bicameral European Parliament, with one house representing member states, and the other the European electorate.
- The legislative branch consists of a bicameral legislation in which all people and ethnicities can be represented.
- In succeeding years, the government adopts a cabinet system, a bicameral parliament, and focuses the economy on industrialization.
- The elected house speaker also serves as president of the bicameral parliament, comprising the Senate and the House of Representatives.
- The proposal called for the creation of a bicameral parliament in which the upper house would represent the territorial units.
- The legislative branch consists of a bicameral National Congress.
- Spain is a parliamentary monarchy with a bicameral legislature.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.