In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1bikini masculinebikini feminine River Platebefore noun the bikini bottom/top — la parte de abajo/arriba de la bikini River Plate
- For example, in Japan fifty years ago it was considered vulgar to swim in a swimming suit but now bikinis are the norm.
- More fluid designs and flowers bloomed all over the catwalks, on everything from chiffon dresses and silk wraps to shirts, bikinis and kaftans.
- It may be winter outside, but Marks & Spencer is hotting up with fantastic bikinis, swimsuits, tankinis and dresses to flatter all.
- The look is long and lean; a mix of retro and ultra modern with crocheted bikinis, hole-infested frocks and horizontal striped tube knit dresses.
- I was wearing a plain black bikini top, with jean shorts over the bikini bottoms.
- She had long blonde hair tied up in a high pony tail, with jeans on and a gold bikini top.
- Walking hand in hand, we passed several other people on roller skates, in bikinis and swimming trunks, with shopping bags in their hands and all.
- Both were dressed in mini skirts and tank tops with their bikini straps clearly visible.
- Blending imaginative colour and functional elements, new bathing costumes and bikinis are spectacular eye-catchers.
- After a swim, put on the wrap skirt over your bikini or swim suit, and go for a drink.
- Its residents long for the freedoms they relinquished so many decades ago, and to join in the liberty and freedom of spirit represented by bikinis and Speedo swim-suits.
- I abandoned my shirt for my floral bikini top and my little white tennis shoes for sandals.
- Julia pulled out a pink bikini top and a mini skirt with a tropical design.
- All she could see though, was a fairly pretty girl wearing a tight mini-skirt and a white bikini top.
- Some of the great sparkling looks came in tiny swimsuits or two-piece bikinis studded with silver nail heads including crocheted white suits.
- A girl in ripped up jean shorts and a bikini top came barreling out of the house and down the steps toward us.
- Many traditional Samoan villages ban beach wear such as bikinis and swimming suits.
- A lot of hardy Scots braved what were chilly conditions and sported swimming costumes and even bikinis.
- I take two or more bikinis / swimming costumes when I go on holiday as its nice to change into a dry suit rather than sit around in a wet one and get all sandy.
- The bikini bottom had strings that tied together at the sides to keep it on, and the bikini top was halter style.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.