In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1British(for kitchen refuse etc, wastepaper basket)cubo de la basura masculinetacho de la basura masculine Southern Conebote de la basura masculine Mexicocaneca de la basura feminine Colombiatobo de la basura masculine Venezuelapapelera femininepapelero masculinecaneca feminine Colombialitter bin — caneca
2masculine granerofeminine carboneramasculine cajón
1(discard)tirar a la basurabotar a la basura Latin America River Plate
- In addition one resident actually had somebody put a sack of rubbish in their bin when they had it left out for collection.
- Each week, on the same day, either the black bin with household rubbish and the blue box with tins and plastic were collected, or the brown bin for garden rubbish and the green box for paper.
- Was he planning on using one of the empty bottles in the bin to store some chemicals?
- He tossed the little wooden stick in the recycling bin and stood up.
- Bin wagons, rubbish bins and boxes are all in line for a major shake-up to smooth the way for kerbside recycling.
- Last week I left several glass wine bottles in my green bin along with paper and cardboard.
- An electrified clothes drying rack, a guitar made out of an coffee tin, drums built from stainless steel colanders, pots and rubbish bins.
- So it must have been gremlins that filled my rubbish bin with pieces of torn cardboard and disposable coffee cups.
- Just think if you recycled all of these materials you won't need to stand on your wheeled bin to squeeze that last bit of space out of it and you might get your lid the whole way down!
- As Ian approached the bus stop, Mad Sam extricated himself from the litter bin and stood in the middle of the pavement, blocking Ian's path.
- The level of organisation is very impressive, though I'm not sure about the symbolism of the count supervisors using an empty ballot box as a rubbish bin.
- The study showed that only 14 per cent of household rubbish bins contain absolutely no information of interest to fraudsters.
- After the first day of the strike many city centre streets were filled with litter as protesters tipped over rubbish bins and emptied refuse bags.
- That amounts to 1500 tonnes of glass, plastic, paper and cans going into recycling bins rather than rubbish bags.
- As part of the project, every home in the borough will have a green box for glass, tins, foil trays and plastic bottles, a white bag for paper waste and a grey bin for other household rubbish.
- Christmas cards can be taken along to Tesco or WH Smith, where recycling bins will stand in all their York stores.
- He pointed it out to me and I walked across to the bin and deposited the package of shells.
- On your next visit to the supermarket take excess packaging and deposit in the rubbish bins in the store car park.
- Refuse collectors are instructed only to collect rubbish left in the bins and no other bags, in an attempt to reduce landfill and encourage recycling.
- So chuck the half-used bottles of poison in the bin and stop giving your money to the multi-nationals with their hugely profitable global brands.
- I was shopping in a health food store that had open bins and this man was grabbing handfuls of nuts in his open hands and eating them before going to the counter to pay for them.
- The stores were decorated with bins of coffee beans, photos of coffee trees, and shelves of gleaming coffee paraphernalia.
- There have also been problems with the brown bin or composting bin service, with a handful of households contaminating it with dead animals and non-recyclable waste.
- A big stand of grain bins; they are scowling at the wind, each of them.
- We have a worm farm and compost bin, have planted fruit trees and vegetables and plan to plant up an area of natives next week.
- Each bin can store one type of otherwise homeless stuff.
- Each bin stores a particular variety of packaged multiple-dose pharmaceutical.
- Any longer than that and I'm liable to drop the jeans in the nearest bargain bin basket and run out of the shop empty handed.
- Using separate bins to store boarders' grain helps track the number of sacks you use.
- Once the sequence is complete, the test equipment sends the results to the component handler, which bins the part and places another in the fixture.
- We also started boiling up the maize and storing this in huge bins ready for piling into the swims in front of the site to get the shoals of fish munching.
- It's carried to market, stored, arranged in bins, cooked, brought to the table, and eaten.
- When you go to bargain bins in record stores, you can get Blondie and The Beatles and you can go back every day and get something new and good.
- Children can sort through the manageable bins without standing on tiptoes or upsetting a whole shelf.
- Use large colorful stackable plastic bins to store toys, linens, out of season clothes and decorations, etc.
- So I laid some permeable membrane down to stop the weeds from growing upwards and emptied the contents of the big compost bin into the smaller compost bin.
- York Rotters, a band of council-trained volunteers, showed festival visitors how they can reduce household waste by up to a third by purchasing a discounted compost bin.
- Those burgeoning sprouts on the gnarly bulbs piled in bins at a garden store can produce five or six flowers, each as big as your hand.
- Check the dollar stores for plastic bins, baskets and containers.
- I survey the space where we're standing, shelves and bins of different components.
- The scheme is designed to encourage residents to take part in council schemes, which include a compost bin offer and nappy laundering services.
2(reject)rechazarthe whole project was binned — el proyecto íntegro fue reachazado
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.