In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1alas de murciélago feminine informal
- Kiss goodbye to your bingo wings.
- Work has to be done to get into bikini shape, lose those bingo wings, attain a flat stomach and so on.
- There aren't many women beyond their late 30's, in truth, who I can think of who don't have bingo wings.
- Then she got her gelatinous bingo wings in a twist.
- I thought turning grey would be my lot eventually, along with bingo wings and varicose veins.
- In their place were perms and dyes, Michelin waists, plump upper arms (and, horror of horrors, the first stages of the dreaded 'bingo wings'), and 40-something, careworn faces.
- Flabby underarm 'bingo wings', and bones clearly visible through a skinny frame came a close second and third.
- Lyn folds Steph up in her bingo wings and says 'Oh sweetheart, good heavens, what's happened?'
- Devotees often sport 'bingo wings' - ill-advised displays of generous upper-arm flesh.
- And, more importantly, I don't want them to see me with a frizzy mop, crows feet and - although I haven't played the game for five years - bingo wings.
- She has decided that she's done with covering up her bingo wings, and wants them to be out and proud.
- The award for most catty remark went to Jackie, who said that a woman in the crowd had 'bingo wings'.
- These aren't just large arms, they're large arms with dry, scaly skin, with horrible armpits, with huge flabby bingo wings flapping about underneath the upper arms.
- Still, you can't argue with a sport that uses 90% of your skeletal muscles, burns 20% more calories than normal walking and turns your bingo wings to iron.
- She's covered up her bingo wings with a sensible black suit.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.