In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A cursorial bipedal animal would have its arms free to do with them as it pleased while running, and its running speed would allow it to achieve the minimum speed necessary for liftoff.
- It is clearly designed for an upright, bipedal creature.
- It was a bipedal creature from what she could see but it resembled something close to a wild tiger in the upper torso.
- Strange to see aliens as the main theme of a carving; where you expect to see humans there are bipedal cats in their stead.
- They acted more like huge flightless birds of prey, than the overgrown bipedal lizards of popular imagination.
- Thirdly, substantial differences are seen between the hip bones of quadrupedal and bipedal primates, involving also the locomotor and postural muscles attached to the hip bones.
- Our exobiologists expect any alien species we may encounter to be bipedal mammals that are approximately our size.
- Earlier this month in northeast Ethiopia, the bones of the oldest bipedal hominid to date were discovered.
- He had always been fond of Jinx - in other circumstances, the bipedal tiger might have become a cosseted pet.
- So it is important to know whether some fossil ape-like creature was bipedal or not.
- It was probably a bipedal animal, probably predatory, and probably the size of a large dog.
- That would have laid the groundwork for the success of the archaic bipedal hominids.
- This group of hominids were definitely bipedal, had small canine teeth and, therefore, were early men.
- In their view, terrestrial, bipedal dinosaurs flapped their ‘arms’ first and later evolved into fliers.
- Gizmo had become a large bipedal creature with gray fur all over its body.
- Some will come as a surprise, like the early small-brained bipedal hominids.
- Tyrannosaurs grew out of a group of lightweight, carnivorous, bipedal dinosaurs that also gave rise to birds.
- Eventually, the behaviorists caved in and exempted the bipedal ape from their theory of everything.
- Theropods are the line of mainly carnivorous, bipedal dinosaurs from which birds evolved.
- We had to be less developed to pass through a smaller, bipedal apes cervix, and as a result developed longer and slower, but further than our ape cousins.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.