In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1gripe aviar feminine
- Dozens of tigers died recently from bird flu after contracting the virus from raw chickens they were fed.
- When a pig contracts bird flu, the flu virus can mutate to attach to the human-like pig receptors.
- The country accounts for more than two-thirds of total human fatalities from bird flu.
- Most of the human victims of bird flu appear to have contracted the disease through close contact with chickens.
- There are no current reports of bird flu in animals or humans in Australia.
- If the tests are successful, it would be the first vaccine in the world to treat human cases of bird flu.
- Right now there is a huge concern about bird flu crossing into the human population.
- So far, no cases of humans being infected with bird flu have been registered.
- Our recent outbreak of bird flu has devastated the poultry industry of a number of countries.
- Most of the human deaths from bird flu have been linked to contact with sick birds.
- Symptoms of bird flu are similar to human flu and it cannot be detected without lab tests.
- An effective vaccine cannot be manufactured yet because a mutant strain of bird flu passing between humans has not been seen.
- An outbreak of bird flu in poultry in Vietnam has killed at least six people.
- Their study is the first to suggest that bird flu can be transmitted to humans from wild birds.
- China has not confirmed any cases in people and bird flu remains hard for humans to catch.
- Supply is not keeping up with demand for the antiviral drug that may lessen the bird flu in humans.
- More than 100 people have died from bird flu worldwide but the virus has so far not been spread from person to person.
- The fear is that human and bird flu virus could mix in pigs and form a strain more easily transmittable to humans.
- Firstly, it is ‘a bird flu virus poorly adapted to humans for whom it is not very infectious’.
- The recent reports of bird flu among humans in both Asia and Europe have thrown the world into a panic.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.