In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Peanut butter mixed with birdseed makes for a great bait.
- I spent an hour or two scraping and repainting, then filled the feeder with birdseed, hung it near the shed, and watched to see who would take the bait.
- I figured the arboretum didn't want birdseed growing all over the place so I used shelled sunflower mixes in the feeders.
- He shipped to a U.S. customer a 20-ton load of birdseed that included hemp seed in the mix.
- Oh, and while you're there, if you also get a chance to fill Jimmy Carr's pockets with birdseed and take him down the vulture display at the zoo, we'd appreciate that, too.
- I'd like to see the bird that can eat twenty pounds of birdseed, but nevertheless, I have twenty pounds of the stuff.
- Council chiefs said there had been complaints that the birds were noisy and that birdseed might attract rats.
- Then, I decided to put some mixed birdseed into the shoebox, just in case the bird woke up while it was waiting to be treated down at the vet.
- The trees are budding, and the birds love our back garden because we keep feeding them with peanuts and birdseed.
- They take a bit of getting used too - they're like big bean bags (very heavy!) that smell of birdseed.
- She grows me some of my birdseed and helps me in the kitchen when I put up food.
- Insect-eating birds go for suet and peanut butter; seed eaters prefer sunflower seeds, millet and mixed birdseed.
- Feeding birds commercial birdseed helps them through harsh winter conditions, but it's no substitute for improving backyard habitat.
- However, the bird has uncanny precision when it comes to eating mixed birdseed.
- After natural foods like berries and seeds have run out, birds rely on birdseed and feeders.
- ‘Watch,’ I bravely put my arm round Tiffany's waist and whirled us around with the bag of opened birdseed.
- Not all birdseed is created equal, and not all birds like all birdseed.
- Secondly, it's not birdseed they're giving them.
- They were fed 50 ml of commercial birdseed and two commercial rodent chow blocks once a week.
- A wonderful array of birds used to stop by for birdseed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.