In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1nacimiento masculinemasculine partoafter the birth of her second child — después del nacimiento de su segundo hijo
- a difficult birth — un parto difícil
- at birth — al nacer
- he's Irish by birth — es irlandés de nacimiento
- she's been deaf from birth — es sorda de nacimiento
- date of birth — fecha de nacimiento
- the country of her birth — su país de origen
- to be of humble/noble birth — ser de humilde cuna/de noble linaje
- to give birth — parir
- she gave birth to a beautiful girl — dio a luz a una hermosa niña
- to give birth to sth — dar origen a algo
- Psychologists who deal with phobias usually trace them to incidents in very young childhood - from birth to about five.
- The daughter had lived with her single mother from birth.
- For mothers planning natural births, the next few hours are likely to be suspenseful.
- It's a fantastic service and is there to support mothers before and after labour and is not just about births.
- This is mainly due to the number of multiple births and the age of the mother - IVF mothers are usually older.
- Like other animals, they pass through a life cycle from birth to maturity to death.
- When faced with such increases in medical intervention, more expectant mothers are requesting home births.
- Both are even apparent in children who have been blind and deaf from birth, who differentiate strangers from familiars by their smell.
- Yang places a high importance on using stem cells from birth, rather than those collected from adults because of vitality.
- They had all been difficult births, and by assisting she had learned far more than she wanted to know.
- The babies arrived two weeks early and their biological mother remained at her side to witness the births.
- The young feed themselves from birth normally by pecking.
- It is widely believed that Caesarean births are not good for the recovery of the mother and the growth of the baby.
- In a pride, mothers will synchronise the births of their cubs so they can form a crèche and share the workload.
- Second, both doctors and mothers appear to be using C-sections to better time births.
- These numbers are of course the final two digits in the years that mark the births and deaths of Hitler and Stalin, respectively.
- The Jacob cycle is a life cycle, from birth to death, from exile to return.
- All of her four births were difficult, with pre- and post-birth bed-rest necessary.
- There are several physiological changes that occur in the digestive tract of the young pig from birth to eight weeks of age.
- Most births occurred at home, assisted by traditional birth attendants, relatives, and neighbours.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.