In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of person) cumpleaños masculine(of institution etc) aniversario masculine(card/present/cake/party) (before noun) de cumpleañoswe have the same birthday — cumplimos años el mismo día
- what do you want for your birthday? — ¿qué quieres para tu cumpleaños?
- happy birthday! — ¡feliz cumpleaños!
- the association celebrates its 30ᵗʰbirthday this year — la asociación celebra su 30ᵒ aniversario este año
- the birthday boy — el (niño) del cumpleaños
- the birthday girl — la cumpleañera
- If today is the first day of summer, then it must also be my baby sister's birthday.
- Once we got there we all left to go to some local restaurant, for Lindsay's birthday.
- The next time they saw each other was at Danielle's birthday party a couple of weeks later.
- Meanwhile, this Saturday is open day at the Hunt as the museum celebrates its seventh birthday.
- On our birthdays we have a cake and smiley-face stickers.
- The husband of a friend of mine did this for her on her 30th birthday and she loved it!
- Google, celebrating its seventh birthday today, has revamped its video search service.
- It was Will's eighteenth birthday and he was spending the day with his friends and me.
- I do remember his birthday, his wife's birthday, his two kids' birthdays, his anniversary and, of course, Christmas.
- The three were going to talk about what they were going to do for Zack's birthday.
- Apart from cakes on birthdays, few special foods are eaten at major secular ceremonies, although such ceremonies involve toasting and drinking alcohol.
- Today lardy cakes are served for birthdays or special occasions.
- Bruce was also feted with a cake for his birthday which was one week before.
- We visited the Polo Lounge for a friend's birthday last month and it was a real treat.
- He's just not happy with the poem I wrote for his wife's birthday, so he has to attack me.
- Steve has made this cake on his birthday for his colleagues with an overwhelming positive response.
- One thing was, there was a lot of talk about them flying the flag for Camilla's birthday.
- Parents try to make their children's birthdays special with a cake, cards, and gifts.
- Family and friends gathered around a huge birthday cake singing Happy Birthday.
- You see my mother's birthday is coming up and I was thinking of getting one for her.
- The Big Issue in Scotland will also celebrate its seventh birthday on 29 June.
- He would not miss another birthday or any other important moment in her life again.
- London shares were slightly lower in a week that saw The Motley Fool celebrate its seventh birthday.
- Katie and Kelly, now celebrating their 21st birthdays, were born ten weeks premature and were initially given a 50-50 chance of survival.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.