In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1USbollo masculinepanecillo masculinebísquet masculine Mexico
- Mounds of unfinished mashed potatoes smeared around one with gravy and butter, half eaten biscuit adrift in a sea of peach cobbler.
- I inquired as I slathered cream onto my biscuit.
- The more popular American version of the dumpling is a type of biscuit, which consists of heavy dough dropped into simmering savory stews and casseroles.
- Jon sounded very business-like and Chantal watched him as he purchased some sort of steaming biscuit, refusing his offer to buy her one as well.
- For herself there was one biscuit with a little jam.
- For dessert I was immediately drawn to the nectarines, which were slow-roasted with vanilla, served with creme fraiche and a puff pastry biscuit.
- Self-rising flour and cake and biscuit mixes have decreased the demand for baking soda as an important baking ingredient.
- I reach across the table and fork off a chunk of gravy-smothered biscuit.
- Still, a tradition is a tradition, so I'll be picking up a three-piece w / biscuit from the Turnpike rest stop Roy Rogers on my way home.
- Carissa bit into another jam-smeared buttermilk biscuit.
- I got sick after a biscuit, a strip of bacon, and an egg.
- The plate never feels right to me without a broad, sturdy biscuit to smear with grape jelly, a secret vice of mine dating from childhood.
- We all had eggs, bacon, potatoes, biscuit, and coffee.
- The cheese may have migrated from the centre of Marie's biscuit, but Rampling is in full control of her faculties here.
- Arriving there, I did what I usually did on a normal day: got a quick biscuit for breakfast and headed to my first class, namely English.
- Pillsbury in turn, will offer 55 cents off two cans of Hormel Chili and 40 cents off four biscuit packs.
- We had an idea for a sandwich called the Stack, a pepper-jack breakfast biscuit that was one of our favorite boardroom meals.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of jam over ham; cover with top of biscuit.
1.2British (cookie, cracker)galleta femininegalletita feminine River Plateto take the biscuit — ser el colmo / el acabóse informal
- I thought she was lazy, but you take the biscuit! — ¡yo pensaba que ella era vaga pero tú te llevas la palma!
- Tins of biscuits, Christmas cakes, and boxes of sweets are also requested.
- It will ban sweets, chocolate, cakes and sweet biscuits from the diets of children under 4.
- My grandmother taught us to bake delicious cakes and biscuits.
- The boiling and frying technique remained in use in the Middle Ages for making cracknels, which were small, crisp, sweet biscuits.
- Instead of high-fat foods like chocolate, biscuits, cakes and crisps, try healthier alternatives such as fresh fruit, crusty bread or crackers.
- The Salvation Army says it would welcome any food that would keep, such as chocolates, sweets, biscuits, mince pies and selection boxes.
- Just over half of men and women eat chocolates, crisps or biscuits daily, though the figure is much higher for children.
- The packaging is a little odd, but once you get in there the biscuits are crisp and delicate and the chocolate is good.
- Not only that, it's an opportunity to find decorations, tins of biscuits, liqueur chocolates etc, and all the other bits and pieces that you cannot find anywhere else.
- Following the event the school students retired to the community centre where they feasted on sweets, chocolates and biscuits.
- Home-made jams, biscuits, cakes, sweets and marmalades are ideal presents for those with a sweet tooth.
1.3(for dog)galleta feminine
2(porcelain, earthenware)bizcocho masculinebiscuit masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.