In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(violent robbery)asalto masculineatraco masculine
- Two men armed with a black handgun and a driver in the gang's getaway car are being sought in connection with the blag.
- Though he is a small-time criminal he boasts of big time blags and heavy criminal acquaintances.
- He plays an ageing thief whose plans to retire are postponed by a young whipper-snapper who blackmails him into one last blag.
- We can't go for a simple walk without her being tooled up and ready for an easy blag.
- Less than an hour later, police were alerted by a silent alarm to a second blag in neighbouring Lacey.
- He put together a crack team of thieves like in the film to pull a blag at the local casino
2(pretense)camelo masculine informalchamullo masculine Chile informal
- Everybody else thought we were dodgy work-experience students on the blag.
- It was a phenomenal blag on his part, since most of Balding's horses were chasers, and at that time he had ridden not one chase over the big fences.
- There didn't seem to be any point in trying to continue the blag, so the three of us nodded mutely.
- One especially brazen blag at an art exhibition (entered through charm, obviously) somehow resulted in a catalogue signed and personally dedicated by the artist.
- Convincing the manager you deserve a refund and swaying the librarian to waive your overdue fees - these are blags, times when we use our tongues to make our lives easier.
1(obtain by deception)conseguir con camelos informalconseguir con chamullos Chile informal
2(rob with violence)atracarasaltar
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.