In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1llegada estrecha feminine
- She was sixth in another blanket finish in the 50m breaststroke.
- She then gradually but remorselessly worked her way to the front, grabbing victory on the line in a blanket finish in one minute 56.38 seconds.
- What makes this race so special is that it ended in a five-car blanket finish covered by 0.6 of a second.
- The 51-year-old rider brought the four-year-old horse from last to first to get home by half a length in a blanket finish.
- He ran in the 3,000 metres and in a blanket finish was only one second behind the winner.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.