In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1alto horno masculine
- It was extremely hot, like standing in front of a blast furnace at a steel works.
- The traditional method for extracting pure iron from its ore is to heat the ore in a blast furnace with limestone and coke.
- The explosion occurred when molten iron leaked from a blast furnace.
- The roasting process uses oxygen in a blast furnace to convert the metal sulfide into the metal or the metal oxide plus sulfur dioxide.
- At last it was now possible to use the gas, which was produced by the blast furnace in gigantic quantities in the process of smelting iron, to drive engines.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.