In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1parlotear informalwhat are you blathering (on) about? — ¿qué tonterías dices? informal
1tonterías femininechorradas feminine Spain informalstop your blather, will you? — ¿quieres dejarte de decir tonterías? informal
- That dried-up worthless twit once again obscures the real point with blather.
- The blather from both sides obscures the real, but largely hidden, agenda behind the tax cuts.
- Why not drop in daily for your regular dose of nonsensical blather, rambling introspection and stolen links?
- Most of it is uninspired blather - and usually wrong.
- Come on, let's hear some more of your childish blather.
- It's clear that for all his blather, he thought that he was taking a most un-courageous stand.
- Now, I've a great deal of respect for him, but clearly this is blather of the first order.
- So I'm not inclined to edit tonight's blather for clarity.
- I am not one for sentimental blather.
- This kind of blather, meaningless but essentially harmless, suggests that he might be perfectly suited to make the leap from show business to politics.
- There will also be the usual blather about healing wounds and moving on, but such false consolation will ring especially hollow this time around.
- Ironically, given all the contemporary blather about ethics, it's much easier for today's ethically challenged reporter to thrive.
- The article itself is the usual nonsensical blather about creating housing projects along ideological lines.
- While these changes seem like legalese blather, they actually represent a significant change in policy.
- Real thinking should prevail, not liberal blather.
- I think that between the heat and her blather, I might well have been physically sick if I'd had to attend.
- Just when we think we can't possibly bear any more, we're forced to endure another round of empty blather about how committed people are to improving this city.
- Now, I've no specific objection to one's needy compulsion to share mundane personal blather but, for myself, I find it pointless and distracting.
- Maybe the channel is having a hard time recruiting talking heads or something but I'm hearing an awful lot of this kind of bizarre blather lately.
- Is that just blather, or is it a reasonable comment?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.