In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1blazer masculineblazier masculine Spain
- I have to wear a uniform on school days - a burgundy blazer and grey pinafore.
- I hung my freshly pressed jackets and blazers, complete with the school crest on the pockets and the name Barrett on the laundry mark, in the closet, next to Dave's.
- You could easily tell the public from the private, because the private schools had to wear their number one uniform complete with blazers covered in honors badges.
- It was at Ballantynes that my mother bought my school uniforms including navy serge gym frocks, felt and panama hats, monogrammed hat bands and blazers, and of course, summer and winter gloves!
- There are newbies in perfect, crisp school uniforms, blazers and everything.
- Townsend said Prince William talked to the boys about rugby and rowing after noticing the sports badges on their blazers.
- He was wearing a white shirt, school tie, grey pants and a blue blazer with their school emblem on it.
- At the time the footage was taken she was wearing her uniform of dark blue blazer, grey skirt, white shirt, school tie and blue jumper.
- Look a little closer at the well-groomed kids with innocent, idyllic faces in school blazers or the teens that look identical to their parents except for their age.
- There was a polite smattering of applause as the above mentioned students made their way on stage, looking incongruous in their formal school uniform and blazers.
- But the vivid red is not lost forever - it can still be seen in the lining for the school's blazers and as a pin stripe in the girls' skirts and on the collars of their jumpers.
- The mini-museum features documents and exam results from throughout the school's history, as well as photographs dating from 1897, sports kits from as early as the 1920s and school blazers.
- Colourful shirts and blazers adorn the chambers of the Johannesburg city council as youthful faces take up their seats.
- Parents are driven mad by the school blazer dropped on the hall floor, the wet towel dropped next to the bath or the mould growing in the week-old coffee cup.
- He was just standing there, in his school blazer and his bag hanging off of his right shoulder.
- Don't you think all school blazers should be washable?
- His rapt audience, 16 Indian cricket players in blue blazers, chortled in approval, and later took turns to pump the general's hand.
- Principal Richard Daly and his staff were there to welcome everyone where students, beautifully attired in their school uniforms with smart blazers, offered refreshments to the capacity crowd.
- Students who took part in the worthwhile fund-raising venture swapped their favourite team jerseys for their school blazers and each donated 2 for the charity.
- Nikki held up black - rather than purple - school blazers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.