In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Jewish spirituality recommends saying a prayer or reciting a blessing whenever you notice, even for a moment, that something is going right.
- God, Allah, the Buddha, or Shiva requires you to offer a sacrifice, a prayer or a blessing.
- The church now echoed with whimpering cries as the priest said his final prayers and blessings.
- If nothing else, but by the sheer magnitude of blessings and prayers for the ‘boys in blue’, India stands a terrific chance of bringing home the Cup!
- The reburials of the bones are to be take place with ‘a very low key service’ with prayers and blessings, said the diocesan spokesman.
- He therefore validated Yaakov's blessings, and recognized Yaakov as the sole spiritual inheritor of the blessings.
- Bishop John McAreavey imparted blessings at a special prayer ceremony in which pupils, special guests, governors, parents and staff took part.
- Gamaliel defined no more than the beginnings and ends of blessings, leaving the prayer leader or individual worshipper to improvise on the set theme.
- Popes traditionally deliver the blessing at Christmas and Easter.
- Sabbath candles are lit and there are Sabbath blessings, prayers, songs and readings.
- A long blessing of praise to God for salvation follows.
- After the circumcision, which occurs very quickly and without much pain, a celebration of food, prayers, and blessings follows.
- This past Thanksgiving, she offered a Navajo blessing as the invocation for the Sunday service.
- It seems as though all those doubts and worries had been transformed into prayers and blessings, which had then been abundantly answered.
- When you say grace, include a blessing for all those you depend on.
- And when it's inserted into our prayer of many blessings, it's specifically inserted into the blessing which describes the unique power of God.
- ‘It was your blessings and prayers that helped me complete this trick successfully,’ he said.
- When a great man like an Isaac makes a blessing, that blessing affects spiritual forces and becomes a reality.
- By the time that he was done, the Holy Spirit had caused Balaam to speak a rich blessing upon Israel.
- The blessing begins with a prayer for the mother's health.
1.2(approval)aprobación feminineconsentimiento masculinethe project has the board's blessing — el proyecto cuenta con la aprobación de la junta
- The move has the blessing of the Franciscan community in Waterford who have commended the City Council on the proposal to move the Luke Wadding statue to Greyfriars.
- The State must be making that statement when it decides, by legislation, to give State sanction and State blessing to unions between two people of the same sex.
- In the context of East Timor's first-ever election campaign, there could be nothing more valuable than the blessing of the Catholic Church.
- Jones said although her bandmates at Request were sad to see her go, they gave her their blessings and support.
- John Paul is one of the Woodfield area candidates taking part in the mayoral event and he will give his blessings to all who support this venture.
- The Anglican Church has given its blessing for mobile phone masts to be erected in two of its church towers in Yorkshire - just as long as they're not used to transmit porn.
- Their friends had gone positively nuts at it and all pledged blessings and support.
- At a meeting on Thursday members of the executive committee will be asked to give a blessing to the improvement plan.
- Mama is still upset that money is causing such strife around the house, but refuses to give any money or blessings to anything supporting alcohol.
- And all of this, of course, is aimed at getting a new U.N. blessing for the plan moving forward in Iraq to transfer sovereignty.
- The plans already have the blessing of the town council, but this week doctors at Hathaway surgery declined to speak about the scheme.
- The public consultation period on the Westmead skatepark ended last Thursday, just as Chippenham Town Council gave its blessing for the plans to proceed.
- The plan has received the blessing of Trade and Industry Secretary Patricia Hewitt.
- Success of all this depends on the approval and blessings of the prominent religious leaders and institutions.
- So I want you to know that just this once, you have my support and my blessing.
- English Heritage said it could only give its blessing to the demolition plan, if it was proven there was no market for the grade II listed building by putting it up for sale.
- If you're still sure that you want to make this travel, you'll have all my support and my blessings.
- It recalls the violence and cruelty of medieval military expeditions to conquer the Holy Land, all done in the name of Christ and with the blessing of the church.
- Caring for the sick had the blessing of the Christian churches, which urged their members both to be charitable and to care for those suffering.
- If he declines to give blessings for an endeavor, they accept that as his blessing and proceed no further.
1.3feminine bendiciónfeminine consagración
2(fortunate thing)bendición (del cielo) femininea blessing in disguise
- don't cry, this may turn out to be a blessing in disguise — no llores, puede que todo sea para bien / no llores, mira que no hay mal que por bien no venga
- to be a mixed blessing — tener sus pros y sus contras
- you should count your blessings — deberías dar gracias por lo que tienes
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.