In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- James and Audrey Callaghan were blest with three children, not two.
- That horrid slop couldn't cure a common cold if it was blest by Pope Christ!
- So many people seem blest by certainty in the Tampa debate.
- When you and Duncan both stayed, we were double blest.
- The weekend was blest by perfect weather, great crowds, and fabulous flying.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.