In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1lado ciego masculine
- Or being hit from the blind side by someone of far great avoirdupois and wondering how the frame survived.
- I didn't get riled when he bit me or when he put my arm in a lock on the blind side of the referee and tried to break it or when he headbutted me and opened up a cut that needed 17 stitches.
- And with maddening consistency, the easiest birds approach unsaluted from the blind side.
- Buck observes that he is very antisocial like Dave and just wants to get his job done, although Dave also learns by a bad experience that he does not like to be approached on his blind side.
- Veteran defender John Swales was lucky to escape as he blatantly handled to deny Constantine a clear run at goal but fortunately for him it was on the blind side of referee Mr Haslam, who had an excellent game.
- Horsforth's frustration was clear to see and striker Connolly was fortunate to get away with a spiteful kick at John Mutton on the blind side of the referee.
- Pateley left-back Dan Carrington was fortunate to escape with a clear handball in his own area but it was on the blind side of referee Brian Beecroft who had an outstanding game throughout.
- From Brennan's puck out, Waterford went back on the attack and Paul Flynn was lucky to be awarded a free in possession after he had fouled the ball on the blind side of referee, Tom McIntyre.
- We went round the blind side and came in low, at 100 ft.
- Swift, decisive and up the blind side, Fernando Alonso has taken the world of Formula One by surprise.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.