1(in UK)arenque ahumado masculine
- The smokehouse smokes anything that stands still for long enough; pheasant, ham hocks, bloaters, garlic, eel, sausages.
- Around 1835 a new type of lightly salted, lightly smoked bloater was first made at Yarmouth.
- Many a person has gone away smiling after eating one of these red herring, bloaters or kippers.
- You can still get the famous Yarmouth bloater though.
- Yarmouth bloaters soon acquired a national reputation and the town remained in the top ten until the later 18th cent.