In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He heard blood-curdling screams, sounds of unspeakable horrors.
- Next we were stopped in our tracks by a blood-curdling scream.
- He answered with a blood-curdling scream that could be heard across two blocks.
- With a blood-curdling scream she fell downwards.
- Dialogue is clear; there's some decent base evident; and the screams are effectively blood-curdling.
- I don't think she screamed, but a few minutes after that there was just a blood-curdling scream from someone and it put the hair on the back of my neck straight up.
- During a moment of silence, from several rows behind came the blood-curdling screams, those of a woman.
- He let go of her with a blood-curdling scream and backed away.
- He began to scream, blood-curdling screams of anguish from the top of his lungs, and Jesse was at a complete loss as of what to do.
- Then a blood-curdling scream filled the gray, terrifying sky.
- I let out a blood-curdling scream as the bike swung round and smashed into the low wall in front of number fifteen.
- A blood-curdling scream cut through the silence.
- A horrible blood-curdling scream from somewhere to the left froze everyone, and they all looked towards the sound.
- I released the most blood-curdling scream I was capable of.
- I half-yelled, half-cried in a blood-curdling scream as the car pulled away and I broke down crying.
- She let out a blood-curdling cry, finally submitting to the pain.
- A blood-curdling scream pierced the air from behind us.
- Then there was another thump at the gates, this time followed by a blood-curdling scream of terror and agony.
- Suddenly the atmosphere is shattered by blood-curdling screams.
- I swear I must have woken up the entire neighborhood with my inhuman, blood-curdling scream.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.