In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1sangría femininean orgy of bloodletting — una orgía de sangre
- Then, your doctor might have recommended such treatments as bloodletting or taking dangerous doses of sulfur and mercury.
- There are medieval scenes of bloodletting, and of doctors cauterising patients' piles, polyps, and even cataracts (ouch).
- Today, many medical practices such as bloodletting are no longer used.
- But the range of surgical expertise dealt largely with the surface of the body: for example cautery, bloodletting, and draining boils and abscesses.
- There has been a health care crisis since we were bloodletting.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.