In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Just inside the garden is a large rose tree covered with white blossoms.
- Also known as baby's breath, these starry blossoms on thread-thin stems make great fillers for fresh and dried arrangements.
- As the large, loose clusters of tiny greenish flower blossoms fade, the flower stalks get longer and by midsummer are covered with fuzzy purple or pink hairs.
- Garnish salads with buds or the yellow blossoms.
- In spring one revels in the bright green of new buds and the blossoms of the azaleas.
- If you like edible flowers, try some of the tiny white blossoms sprinkled onto salads.
- Intensely fragrant, waxy white blossoms emerge on stems as tall as 3 feet above grassy basal foliage and tuberous roots.
- Remove plants from their nursery pots, being careful not to break their stems or blossoms.
- Each bulb can produce as many as twenty beautiful, large trumpet-shaped blossoms on a single stem.
- Water each container lightly at the base of the plants, being careful not to get water on the leaves or blossoms.
- Since the majority of night-scented blossoms have white flowers, these plants also light up the landscape at night.
- The magnificent shades of lavender-purple and white blossoms with their heady show and sweet fragrance renewed my love affair with the lilac.
- Of course, now is a great time to clean out the flower beds, removing the fallen leaves and blossoms to avoid potential fungus and molds from growing.
- Snow weighed down the branches and from a distance, they looked like trees bearing white blossoms.
- Tiny blossoms of deep pinks and reds will add great color to your festive fall container.
- Jim sat down under a flowering tree in a patch of tiny white blossoms and faced the shimmering waters of the river.
- Its blossoms, on bare branches, are showy and often fragrant.
- His feet are tied to branching white blossoms, beneath which a few women with flower torches dance.
- Frequent mowing during peak growth will eliminate the yellow blossoms and prevent seed formation.
- Its foliage is divine - tiny spirals of pearly blossoms with a heavenly scent.
2(mass of flowers)floresa cherry in blossom — un cerezo en flor
1(flower)(tree) florecer(tree) dar flor
2(flourish)(arts/enterprise) florecer(person/relationship) alcanzar su plenitudto blossom into sth
- our friendship blossomed into love — nuestra amistad se transformó en amor
- Helen has blossomed (out) into a delightful young woman — Helen se ha convertido en una chica encantadora
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.