In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- What was decomposing the carcasses, given the total absence of fossils of the larger flies, such as flesh flies and blowflies (whose larvae, which we call maggots, feed on carrion)?
- In fact, they are regarded as beneficial because they are predators of many insects that do hold pest status, such as house flies and blowflies.
- To answer your second question: be thankful they weren't blowflies.
- To make matters worse, the sound of the blast had drawn news helicopters from all directions like blowflies to a murdered corpse.
- The diverse group of fly species called schizophorans includes houseflies, fruit flies, and flesh-burrowing blowflies.
- In the mid-1990s, when poachers shot three adult bears and two cubs near a garbage dump and cut out their gallbladders, scientists used the timing of blowflies hatching on the dead cubs to tie two suspects to the scene of the crime.
- The soundtrack is dominated by the rich buzz of blowflies, the same winged buzz that punctuate later scenes set at the garbage dump.
- Only a few species of fly larvae, primarily blowflies, are suitable for such duty.
- It sounds to me like a blowfly buzzing around in a chandelier.
- For nervous children going to the toilet had the usual problems of non-flush toilets - blowflies, spiders, and even wetas, and possums on the roof.
- It is embellished with thousands of black-and-white scraperboard illustrations so superbly detailed that you can count every hair on a blowfly's bum.
- Fly parasites are useful for the control of house flies, stable flies, blowflies, and many other fly species.
- The unique characteristic of these fascinating plants is their flowers, whose odour is not likely to cause amour unless the recipients of the odours are blowflies.
- So in some splendid still lifes you will find blowflies sitting on a pear or the odd maggot creeping out of a peach.
- A European blowfly, yet another life-form introduced to New Zealand, proved to be as harmful as the weasels.
- He was dozing gently in the autumn sunshine when a late blowfly droned past, rousing him for his soporific state.
- When the blowflies enter the flower, slanted spines prevent exit, and the flies are trapped overnight, spreading their pollen to the mature female florets inside the flower.
- These tiny wasps are important biological control agents of nuisance flies, such as the house fly and blowfly.
- To keep flies, and especially blowflies, away from and breeding in your garbage bin, soak strips of old sheeting in a liquid repellent made by dissolving ten drops of citronella oil and three drops of peppermint oil in a litre of water.
- None of the wounds developed an infection or became infested by blowfly.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.