In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(dress/sky/sea) azulblue with cold — amoratado de frío
- she went blue in the face — se le amorató la cara
2.1informal (pornographic)verdepornocolorado Mexico
2.2(risqué)picantesubido de colorsubido de tono
1(color)azul masculinedark/light blue — azul oscuro/claro
- to vanish / disappear into the blue — esfumarse
- she/it vanished / disappeared into the blue — se la/lo tragó la tierra
- There was a photograph on the wall of a model with tresses boldly streaked in blue - I was concerned.
- My room is colored in blue with glow in the dark stars and planets on them.
- As one would stare upwards, the sky would change from red, to orange, to green, to dark blue, to royal purple.
- Designers took the traditional Masonic colours - green and gold - and wove in blue and black.
- Using strong colours like dark blue, deep reds and yellows, her work is certainly striking.
- All samples are shown at the same magnification, with spindles in green and DNA in blue.
- It's cluttered and the colours (dark blue and purple) will not be to many people's tastes.
- One in brilliant yellow, another scarlet red and the two remaining were adorned in blue and glass green.
- The water-resistant fabric is available in blue, green or natural.
- If it is in red ink, the letter is false; if in blue, it is true.
- Familiar in its colourless form, it also occurs in a wide range of strong colours including blue, green, pink, and yellow.
- I was hoping she'd turn up to work the next day in blue and green, but she didn't.
- The Thursday evening changes are marked in red; the Friday changes in blue.
- The words in blue are ‘hyperlinks’ and clicking on them will take you to an area with more information.
- Just remember, if you see text in blue in this article, that means we clipped it from the editorial section.
- She had the children in mind in choosing colours, wares, right down to bathroom sets in blue for boys and pink for girls.
- Inside are piles of battered registers, marked with the date in blue.
- It is even available in bright colours like blue, green, yellow and orange.
- This being the set I reviewed, they also come in blue, yellow, green sliver and black.
- The vehicle involved, which had also been damaged, had been a light green or blue in colour, although the make or model was not known.
deportista representante de Oxford o Cambridge
1despilfarrarpulirse Spain informalpatinarse River Plate informalhacer sonar Chile informal
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.