In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1mar abierto masculine
- Trim yachts skim the surface of the blue water and there is not a cloud in the sky - yet we are a mere hour's train ride from the manic heart of Manhattan.
- The current carried me steadily away from the security of my support boat, but my attention was focused on the blue water before me.
- Collections of bannerfish decorate the blue water at the fringes of the reef like confetti fluttering in a breeze.
- At the weekends, yachts and cruisers of all sizes criss-cross the blue water.
- Fixing my eyes on the blue water, I searched for mantas.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.