In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(male pig)cerdo macho masculineverraco masculine
- Improvements in daily gain, feed efficiency, loin-eye area, and lower backfats occur when boars are provided the dietary protein concentration that meets their requirement.
- And a rusa, a lewdly mischievous pantomime horse galloped the streets to bring virility to the farmers' stallions, bulls, rams and boars.
- Selection of boars with initially correct skeletal structure will help to ensure their longevity.
- In boars, pheromones found in boar saliva are known to cause the female to assume a mating position.
- But the boar had hardly mounted the sow when the neighbour ran into the pen and knocked the boar off the sow with his cap.
- Wilbur, a behemoth boar who can't stand fences - and hasn't met one that could stop him - is spared from the breakfast plate for sentimental reasons.
- A 35-foot by 85-foot hoop building houses boars and the sows from weaning through midterm gestation.
- Owners of rare breeds, especially pigs, have been hard hit, as movement restrictions make it difficult and costly to move sows to boars for service - if they can be moved at all.
- The boar went berserk after being separated from its sow and spying a rival male boar in a nearby pen.
- Pedigree sows and boars are retained for breeding while their offspring join the food chain in keeping with the trust's motto Eat them to keep them.
- You see, a Bulgarian farmer had bought a prizewinning boar for breeding purposes, but discovered it would only socialise with other male pigs.
- This situation may be worsened upon weaning or when sows are grouped together or mated to a large boar.
- Boars used in pen-mating situations need to be heavier than boars used for hand mating or for artificial insemination.
- But he gave the boar a quick checkup and ruled the porker perfectly fine for consumption - or cohabitation.
- High-quality semen can be purchased without the investment in and expenses associated with owning a boar.
- On the contrary, the best-known stockbreeder of the eighteenth century made a point of obscuring the descent of his prized bulls, rams, boars, and stallions.
- The first important finding was that Meishan boars have five to seven times more FSH in their blood than U.S. boars have, but their testes were 40 percent smaller than those of U.S. boars.
- Increased boar usage generally does not result in increased sperm production.
- Adults are at their lowest weight in the spring as territorial behaviour by the boars and suckling by the sows will have reduced their stored fat to a minimum.
- By 1860 imported boars and improved husbandry yielded a hog notably superior to that of the 1820s and '30s.
2wild boarjabalí masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.