In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1feminine tablamasculine tablónfeminine tabla (del suelo)as stiff as a board — más tieso que un palo / que una tabla
- to tread the boards — pisar las tablas
- It is a good idea to add up the total number of boards, being careful to make sure you group short pieces in with long pieces to minimize waste.
- Remove all of the old nails, and resecure any deck boards that may be loose.
- First, the foam underlayment is rolled out, and then the laminate boards can be placed over it with a tongue-in - groove technique.
- Use a straight edge and clamp the boards down to make an even, straight cut.
- Nail or screw down loose boards or fittings, and clean all the gaps thoroughly.
- Just add connecting boards between sections of deck from below to make a box, then either hinge the deck piece or make it a lift section.
- You will need to cut and chisel these out of the floor and replace them with new boards.
- The method of assembly depends on the thickness of the boards and the size of the completed frame.
- The floor was wood and a few boards creaked under his weight.
- It is a good idea to paint the exposed ends of the joists and deck boards with a waterproofing for added protection.
- I recommend you cut the joists after almost all your decking boards are in place.
- New pine planks were stained on one side, and their bottoms were left unfinished because the owners wanted them to cup and warp to match the old boards in another part of the floor.
- The rough stucco was replaced with random-length tongue-and-groove boards to create an old-fashioned look.
- If you are using random width boards, be sure the piece next to the wall is the wider piece.
- Immediately after sawing I stack the boards in the shade (though not in a building), with spacers between each layer.
- Rusted sheet metal, asphaltic roofing, old boards, or slate tiles are other roofing alternatives.
- The scorpion spends its days under loose stones, bark, boards, and floors of outhouses.
- The wood has severely splintered and several chunks of wood have come out of the boards.
- If the four cuts were not enough to cut all the way through the board, finish it off with a sharp handsaw.
- Add elegant age to modern bathrooms by wainscoting the lower third of the wall areas in tongue-and-groove timber slats or boards.
1.2(material)a piece of board — una plancha — de conglomerado etc.
1.3(for chopping etc)tabla (de madera) feminine
- During this part of the auction, the auctioneers also sold off dozens of game boards.
- Gail nodded and bit her lip again, turning her attention back to the game board and staring at the jumbled patterns of red and yellow marbles.
- These paintings of half-length figures grouped around a gaming board or table were probably meant to convey moral messages.
- Our relationship grew over those years and, most of the time, it happened over a game board.
- Slide the pastry on to a board, cover with clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes.
- The games would be played across mahogany inlaid boards; the pieces, all ivory of course, would have been carved during the Ming dynasty.
- Thus, even such everyday objects as game boards and dice were buried with the deceased.
- After he left the kitchen Lissie got up to hand the cutting board covered with onion slices to her mother.
- In the game, players take turns to push coins up a board with horizontal lines across it.
- For the scallop crackers, place the feuille de brick sheets on a cutting board.
- Place the lobster, shell uppermost, on a board on the table in front of you.
- Set the tortillas on a board and cover one half of each with cheese and then spinach.
- An advanced version of the game can also be played in which only a portion of the game board is visible to a player.
- In Australia, I am told it is known as Calliente, and in Germany it is still possible to buy a board for the game under the original name Poch.
- Remove the meat to a carving board and cover with foil.
- The game board is filled with dazzling colors, wonderful textures, and delightful characters.
- Sadly, most of the game boards have been damaged beyond recognition.
- The game involves a wooden board containing holes in which seeds are placed.
- The paintings are long or tall rectangles or approximately square panels and are about as big as game boards.
- The game board is a rectangular grid of squares, initially occupied by a given configuration of filled squares.
- They act as game boards for toys and as toy chests, because taking one's favorite toy-carrying case to school is not allowed.
- The game board tumbled to the ground and twenty red and yellow marbles rolled in various directions across the floor, beneath the bed, and under the dresser.
- Carving is also applied to the production of staves of traditional office, drums, dolls, and game boards.
- As time passed, the game evolved, with boards consisting of 10x10 and later 13x13 grids at different periods while the number of stones increased.
- The picture on the right is a replica of a game found in a royal tomb at Ur dated around 2600 BC which makes it one of the oldest game boards in existence.
- Transfer the nougatine sheet to a cutting board and chop into small pieces.
1.4placa base femininemain / mother board — placa madre
2.2(for surfing, windsurfing)tabla (de surf) feminine
- Seven tries later Morgan was no closer to standing up on the board.
- The dedicated surfer is one of the few who stands - on a board - to benefit from this capricious nature.
- Some of the skaters have told the Alice Springs News they were ordered to line up against a wall and hand over their boards to four police officers.
- Dogtown Skates introduced boards with elaborate graphic designs on the bottom.
- A board fastened to your feet enables jumps and elaborate tricks to be carried out.
- He and his friends rode the boards for the next several years.
- It was a stormy day in November, 2001, when Sharp and his men drove up to his beach fortress with a ton of boards, jetskis, and rescue gear.
- The prototype boards are being tested by Australian surfers.
- He loved getting up early, grabbing his board and surfing with the sunrise.
- I could stand on a board and wobble, but that was about it.
- I stand on a board, my feet unfastened, and learn how to keep balanced by flexing my knees and leaning forward a little.
- For the leisure industry, they stock wet suits, surf and ski boards and Yamaha Jet skis.
- Well basically it's sky-diving with a board fixed to your feet.
- The sport combines elements of surfing on a board with the added dimension of a kite.
- Barney and Skinny's boards were only two of many equipment casualties on Wednesday morning.
- Stand on the board and balance without letting the edges touch down.
- I walked over to a tent where I saw some surfing boards.
- You might have noticed more and more people of all ages gliding down the streets on skateboards, sliding along walls and flicking and spinning their boards with various degrees of success.
- ‘Not the greatest,’ Tyler admitted, standing his board in the sand beside him.
- It felt like riding on a surfing board but it was more stable and smooth.
- Whether it is soaring 50 feet through the air on a Skidoo or popping tricks on a board in a half pipe, extreme sports thrive on danger.
2.3(for surfing, windsurfing)diana feminine
2.4Gamestablero masculineto sweep the board — arrasar con / llevarse todos los premios
3.1tablero de anuncios masculinetablón de anuncios masculine Spain
3.2(sign)letrero masculinecartel masculine
- I also wrote on the board and told him how he should sign documents.
- Grady walked over to Vaughn who was standing with a cup of coffee staring at the list he'd written on the dry-erase board.
- Desks were moved to the walls, books were placed in the appropriate places and the rules were written on the board.
- Being the last period of the day, everyone looked just as uninterested as me in whatever the teacher was writing on the board.
- We were commenting how the lesson would be difficult because no-one could read what Mr Foster writes on the board.
- If the teacher wanted to do something to earn his money, he could write things on the board in phonetic alphabets.
- Mary is often forced to dodge missiles when she turns her back on her 31-member class to write on the board.
- To her, the ideal teacher was skilled in all things, even writing on the board quickly and efficiently.
- Those of you that were unemployed several years ago may remember display boards with attached hand written postcards advertising job vacancies.
- Everything had to be copied by hand and I couldn't read a single Vietnamese word she wrote on the board.
- He walked into his class to see his teacher writing on the board.
- He paced back and forth, scratched his head, and finally strode to the board and wrote: CVCVC.
- Easily affixed to the fridge or kitchen wall, the boards allow you to scribble notes and reminders when they come to you.
- She then rose from her chair and began writing things on the board.
- On most occasions when I take a workshop, I first write on the board - there are no rules, but there are precedents.
- She was scribbling down the different terms and mathematical properties that the teacher had written on the board.
- He entered the room and started to write onto the board - without saying a word.
- In the middle of the three streets, there is a board on which various notices and advertisements have been posted.
- Record lesson objectives in a margin of the board at the beginning of class.
- I've always been an excellent speller, but now half the words I wrote on the board were misspelled.
- ‘One of the boys pinned it up on the board before the game,’ said the Bradford boss.
- Mr. Sanchez was writing something on the board in large, ugly handwriting.
3.4(blackboard)pizarra femininepizarrón masculine Latin Americatablero masculine Colombia
3.5(at airport, station)panel masculinetablero masculine
4.1(committee)junta feminineconsejo masculinethe school's board of governors — el consejo directivo del colegio
- One might have expected him to sit on the boards of two or three of New York's more important cultural institutions, but so far as I know that was not the case.
- At the same meeting, a new board of directors and a monitoring council are expected to be approved.
- The school has written to the exam board asking them to take the crash into account.
- At a meeting of 14 board members, the decision was taken unanimously to organize a street demonstration.
- People should be on the boards of public companies if they have the skill and experience to be there.
- All the decisions taken were fully informed decisions of a conscientiously acting board or body of trustees.
- The Government needs to look seriously at the people on the boards.
- The staff compile reports and write summaries for the board.
- It was in that sense comparable to the boards of museums, colleges, and philanthropic organizations.
- Members of the public are always most welcome to sit in on our monthly trust board meetings.
- A new constitution and board of directors were put in place after the council threatened to remove funding unless the disputes were resolved.
- What are directors' attendance records at board and committee meetings?
- There were a couple of board members at the meeting.
- I also sit on the board of our global organization and its governance committee.
- The organization's board is expected to meet in the next few weeks to decide what to do with the windfall.
- During this meeting another board of directors also had to be elected.
- The proposed policy is expected to go before the council's executive board for a decision later this year.
- Most corporations paid directors for attending board and committee meetings.
- This press conference is part of a larger decision by the Tourist Board to better inform the press of the activities undertaken by the board.
- Other scientists wrote and e-mailed the board in support of the science standards.
4.2(administrative body)the Water/Gas Board — la compañía del agua/gas
4.3board (of directors) — directorio
4.4(of examiners)tribunal masculine
5(provision of meals)board and lodging — comida y alojamiento
6(uniformly, without exceptions)across the board
- they have promised to reduce taxation across the board — han prometido una reducción general de impuestos
- they are demanding $120 across the board — exigen un aumento de 120 dólares para todo el personal
- before noun across-the-board — general
- on board — a bordo
- on board the ship/plane — a bordo del barco/avión
- to go on board — embarcarse
- before noun on-board — de a bordo
- to go by the board
- all these precautions tend to go by the board — todas estas precauciones suelen dejarse a un lado
- she allowed all her scruples to go by the board — echó por la borda todos sus escrúpulos
- to take sth on board — asumir algo
- they wouldn't take him on board — no querían aceptarlo a bordo
7USinformal(stock exchange)bolsa feminine
1(go aboard)to board a ship — abordar
- the train was boarded by two policemen — dos policías subieron al tren
2(in naval battle)abordar
1(go aboard)embarcar(se)abordar Mexico Colombia
2(be accommodated)to board with sb — alojarse / hospedarse en casa de algn
3(at school)estar internoestar pupilo River Plate
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.